We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tradewinds cruise

Casper, Wyoming
Level Contributor
25 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
tradewinds cruise

We are considering a tradewinds cruise early next year. I'm interested in hearing a review from someone who has taken a cruise recently. I'm also concerned that there may be high pressure sales pitch since it is a "club."

Thanks in advance!

Fremont, Nebraska
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tradewinds cruise

I am booked to go with Tradewinds in October out of Placencia. I am a single and very excited. If I did not go on this trip b/c of what Could happen on a potential trip, I would lose out on life. I find that if I graciously say No and they know that I mean it, all will be well b/c I am assertive and can walk away to the other end of the boat :O)! You never know, you might fall in love with it.

Casper, Wyoming
Level Contributor
25 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tradewinds cruise

Thanks! Hope you post a trip report to share your experiences. We're booked for next May.

santa cruz
Level Contributor
132 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tradewinds cruise

Just got off the boat, it was terrific. You will be off shore on the southern, least populated cayes on the reef with absolutely stunning underwater scenery, terrific crew and from previous experience people who share the love of nature, water and sailing. The sales pitch is short with a 1/2 hour explaination on about the 3rd morning, a booklet accompanies your cabin explaining the club membership, locations etc. Then a short review one on one at ranguana island the following morning to see if you are interested, a simple yes, no or maybe suffices and if it is yes or maybe another short conversation about the specifics, end of story. When you dock you do the paperwork and any extra questions are answered at that time. NOthing like the timeshare salesman to salesman who won't take no for an answer and you spend hours trying to get no across. No such thing here, we were worried about the same.

The trip sort of sells itself, either you love it and have the extra money to return, or you love it but don't want to repeat the journey or have the funds at present. I was hesistant on our first cruise in Bequia but after a day in the water and pampering, with great food, great company, good wine, sailing and terrific underwater sealife we were hooked. If you are looking for shopping, excitement, etc this is not for you, this is not like a cruise ship, it is a 45 or 48 ft catamarand and the accomodations while a bit cramped are comfortable.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
313 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tradewinds cruise

We're sailing out of Placencia on May 26th and very excited. This will be my third Tradewinds cruise and it's one of the best things I've ever done (and I travel a lot!) My first trip was to the Grenadines and my second trip was the BVI's. Both were outstanding. I've been to Belize before but never on Tradewinds. My previous two Tradewinds' cruises were fabulous: great crews, lots of pampering, sights you can't see unless you're on a boat; fabulous snorkeling, off-the-beaten path islands/cays to explore and experiencing the local life vs. the tourist areas. It's not luxurious; cabin is small with no A/C (we left the hatch open all night and got great breezes and great view of the stars. We had such a great breeze, my hair was blowing on the pillow.) You're only in your cabin to sleep so it didn't matter to us. The bathroom was tiny but adequate with a shower. I can't wait to do it again next week!

Ocean Pines, MD
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: tradewinds cruise

We'll be on the cruise with you. It is our 1st Tradewinds catamaran cruise. Several days of a heat index of 104F and showers are forecast. Looking forward to the journey. See you on board. . .

new york
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: tradewinds cruise

Have a great time. I look forward to hearing about your trip, we are going in August,

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
7 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tradewinds cruise

We have been on a few different trips, and love them all. All offer something a little different, but the food and the service is constantly above par. We just got back from Belize, swam with the whale sharks, did some excellent dives and snorkeled a lot. Lots of deserted but beautiful islands, a great get away. The Greece trip was lots of villages on islands, shopping etc. The Grenadines, was our first and where we joined the club, will always be our favorite. We are doing Tobago in July, and the BVI's next year. Panama was very interesting and loved the islands and native tribes there as well. So do your research on the specific trip you are doing or choose one that suits your travel needs, you are sure to find one or if you are like us love them all!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
7 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tradewinds cruise

This is so true, the club sells itself because it is not the place that makes the vacation as much as the journey, and they make it special on each one. We have been members for 4 years now, and absolutely love all of the trips we have done. We recommend it to friends, as well as take them along, and everyone has left feeling the same as we do, and some join. I always tell people about the referral prices we can get them, and you honestly can not come close to the price doing this kind of vacation anywhere.We have met wonderful friends on trips, some that we meet every year and sail together.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
7 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tradewinds cruise

To the one person that posted that it is this trip was the most deserted islands in the most remote places with no shopping, crowds etc,,,,,Seriously???? That's what makes this so special, not to mention the most beautiful reef, coral, and sea life in the caribbean! As with any trip, do your homework and you can find the trips if you have to have shopping and crowds, but don't shortchange this trip for that because that is what makes this trip so special to those of us that appreciate remote islands on a sail boat. Otherwise get a hotel in Miami or a B&B in Key West.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
313 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tradewinds cruise

Just returned from the Belize Trandewinds cruise in the wee hours this morning. I'll post a trip report in a few days when I return to reality! "Sales pitch" really more of an informational presentation vs. a 'pitch'. This was my third Tradewinds trip and can't say enough about the experience: great crew; fun, interesting boat mates; fabulous underwater experience and the feeling of relaxing exhilaration and complete freedom as you're lying on the trampoline as the catamaran skims across the Caribbean in a very remote area with only the wind, the water and the beautiful scenery (with a drink in hand; of course)!

Get answers to your questions about Placencia