We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Belize Dangerous?

Jersey City, NJ
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Is Belize Dangerous?

I am thinking of going for my spring break and people are telling me to be careful of rape and kidknapping? Is this really true?

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Belize Dangerous?

It's true anywhere, if you end up in the wrong place at the wrong time. A 13 yr old boy was kidnapped a couple of mornings ago from a school bus stop in a good area of our town. He was able to get himself free, but it's now known that it was for money. It can happen anywhere! Belize City is not a spring break town, or much of a tourist town for any reason. For that you would want one of the cayes--probably Ambergris or Caulker. Reasonable precautions, there should be no problems.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,716 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Belize Dangerous?

I live in and travel all over Belize, on my own at times. I exercise the same caution I would in most safe places, like stay away from dark lonely places, etc. Nearly all my clients comments about how comfortable they felt while here. Bad things can happen in good places. Be smart and have lots of fun.

3. Re: Is Belize Dangerous?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2007, 06:32
Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Belize Dangerous?

Sorry to hear about that. I don't spend a lot of time inland and when I do, I'm usually with a group.

However, I travel to the island by myself quite often and my experience has been like Katey's. Keep your head on your shoulder's and your wits about you. You should be fine.

Just like at home, just like at home.

USA
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Belize Dangerous?

Hi,

Belize is a macho society, and that means that women should not travel alone. The men will often make unwelcome advances toward women. They should't be out at night especially. by themselves, only if they are accompanied by a man. There are alot of thieves in Belize that can't wait to rip the tourists off.

Chris Connel

New Jersey
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Belize Dangerous?

Wow. Poor Belize - taking a shellacking. I feel for the post whose girlfriend had that horrible experience. From all official and unofficial indicators, Belize is as safe as you want it to be. Don't go drifting off into deep dark places by yourself. And as for the post about Belize having guerillas, I am sorry, that is utterly wrong. Once, long long ago, a criminal came to Belize from one of the republics and very stupidly decided to kidnap a diplomat and hold her for ransom. He was shot dead by a veteran police marksman. Over the past few years, some silly fellows who called themselves gang leaders were shot dead by the cops. Criminals in Belize are an endangered species, Belize it !!!!! Once again, over the past five years, we have seen over 4 million cruise guests going to a fairly large number of locations, some remote, for activities, and No Problem. Every single tourism site enjoys the presence of our Dragon Unit - para-military police officers who are highly trained, highly efficient, and absolutely wonderful in the work they are doing, keeping our valued tourists safe and sound. The dragon unit, in fact, is a good composite of senior police officers and the most highly trained army attachments. Belize is Mother Nature's best kept secret, and well protected. Go there and enjoy......

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,716 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Belize Dangerous?

Bronislava-On the contrary, Belize is a matriarchel society, women go anywhere anytime and do what they want. Not sure where your info comes from, but mine is first hand and personal. My best response to this post would be to sum up the feelings of the hundreds of clients I have pass thru the country yearly who feel a comfortable degree of personal safety. Belize City can be an unnerving experiance for the uninitiated, but I live here, move about freely day and night and am used to the characters on the streets. But you are cetainly entitled to your own, hopefully, informed opinion.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Belize Dangerous?

We just got back from a two week vacation in Belize with our two daughters, 9 & 16. We were a bit nervous about the safety of the 16 year old in particular.

The vast majority of the time we felt completely comfortable.

That said, I picked up a sense from the Belizeans we met that this is actually a rather conservative country at heart. Open drunkeness is frowned upon, as is loud behaviour. I expect that the standard is rather higher for women, which is somewhat unfair, but I find that here at home in Canada as well. And regrettably, worldwide there is a class of man who sees women as people he should take advantage of.

Some places are also better than others. Punta Gorda is a very economically depressed area in which we were immediately approached by aggressive beggars. I felt VERY uncomfortable there. In contrast, we spent a couple of hours wandering around San Ignacio on market day and felt quite safe.

Sometimes bad things, very bad things, happen in spite of our best efforts. No one deserves to be raped. I am very sorry your girlfriend suffered so.