We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Elbow or local diving?

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
62 posts
14 reviews
The Elbow or local diving?

I am comparing options for diving at the end of Feb.

Would it be a better experience to spend a full day, 3 tank dive out by Turneffe Atoll or is doing a 3 tank dive at local, closer sites comparable?

We are wiling to spend a full day out at Turneffe Atoll if it is that much better, but if we can still have a great time and see alot we'd rather stay closer to San Pedro. We'd love to dive the Blue Hole but we are not experienced enough divers, and I'm not convinced it is worth it. Thanks.

Also, we are staying at The Phoenix Resort and considering Robbie's vs Ambergris Divers for diving. Any advice?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,719 posts
331 reviews
1. Re: The Elbow or local diving?

I really love diving around Turneffe but was pleasantly surprised by all the cool stuff we saw in the San Pedro area - nurse sharks, turtles, big free swimming morays, pushy remoras. I was diving from Caulker.

Bryn Mawr...
Level Contributor
173 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: The Elbow or local diving?

The Turned feel trip is a really special day. It is worth it for the whole experience especially if the weather is nice.

I'm partial to island divers. I dive about 30-50 dives a year with them.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
549 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: The Elbow or local diving?

We dive in San Pedro in December/January. My opinion is to dive Turneffe...and we dived with Ambergris...I would suggest Chuck and Robbies...Just my 2 cents...

Hilo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
170 posts
102 reviews
4. Re: The Elbow or local diving?

I signed up for the Turneffe Atoll / Elbow trip on my last Belize trip. The boat wound up having issues, so instead they took us to the North End of the Atoll to dive there. Was seriously dissapointed with the dives. I mean, nice walls, but for the $300pp price tag I was expecting to be wowed, but it was totally lack luster. We did have the option of returning, but most of us decided to dive instead. Really wish we would have just returned. The local barrier reef was way more active than the North end of the Atoll. If you have any boat problems going to the Elbow and they give you the option to dive the North End, just decline and return. I hear so many good things about the Elbow. Unfortunately I paid for it and never got to see it. :(

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
64 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: The Elbow or local diving?

A trip out to Elbow (Turneff) will cost a pile of money. It is a 2 hour boat trip from AC and the cost of gas to run the boat makes it very expensive. If money is not an issue that do the Elbow. The diving there is world class. If money is an issue there is still lots of great diving within 10 minutes of leaving the dock anywhere in AC.

6. Re: The Elbow or local diving?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2016, 10:48