We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which one would you choose?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,151 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Which one would you choose?

If you were to explore one Mayan Ruin, which one would it be and why.

Lamanai

Xunantunich

Altun Ha

Cahal pech

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,947 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which one would you choose?

Are you going to do this from Ambergris? If so, I really enjoy the trip to Lamanai. Been three times over the years, always with Tanisha Tours. Great guide, good food, lots of animal sightings along the way and on site. Long day though, 12 hours. Unless you fly, then it's more like eight hours. If you fly, you'll miss your chance to see the manatees that I've seen the last two times. Or, the dolphins I've seen at least twice.

Altun Ha is closer, and a small site. I've never been, most of the tour operators combine it with a trip to Maruba hotel and spa. Not something I'm interested in.

Cahal Pech is small as well. We walked there when we were staying in San Ignacio. Interesting, but, I'm sure it would be combined with something else.

Xunantunich, I don't know much about it.

If you're not going from Ambergris, but staying in Cayo, I'd probably either head to Caracol or Tikal (in Guatemala).

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,151 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which one would you choose?

Jeanh, thanks.... we are not going to stay mainland. We will travel from Ambergris. Since my last post, I have been doing some extensive researching and getting differant prices and packages with Tuff E Nuff just as a startin point price wise and came up with this....

Tuff e Nuff combines all Maya Ruins with either zoo, Rio on Pools, Maruba, cave tubing, and horsback. If I am correct the most expensive one would be the one that you have to take the flight to wich is Caracol, and that one combines Rio on Pools OR Rio Frio Cave. at a cost of about 300.00 per person US$. Not too too bad of a price.

Tuff e Nuff does not combine Lamanai with a package. It is by itself. My first pick is Lamanai too, but since they don't combine it then I think i will choose the Altun Ha and Marbuba. This one that I am looking at is the Maruba Jungle not the Resort and Spa. That one sounds and looks very very nice. and maybe do the Caracol andRio on Pools or Cave. I still have more than9 months to figure this out. :(

Xunantunich is combined with Horseback. I would like to do it all, but we are only going to do three excursions, and one being the snorkel trip.

We all love to Horseback ride and would be nice to do it in the rainforest of Belize. We shall see. I look at it this way.. The money we saved on airfare we will use for our sightseeing. My husband travels a lot, so we have dividend miles for 4 of us to fly free. Yeah!!!

Tuff e Nuff does not combine Cahal pech with anything. Not sure of other companies. I will check in to Tanisha Tours.

Thank you so much for your help. I am sure over the next few months I will be asking more questions... bare with me!

djb

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which one would you choose?

Lamanai is not combined probably because it is a longer tour than Altun Ha. It is well worth seeing, bigger than Altun Ha, which was also a good tour did that with Maruba lunch stop too. Not been to Xunantunich and Cahal pech but from pics I have seen both look good.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,151 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which one would you choose?

Still thinking about doing that one too. I want to do it all!

thanks for the info!

djb

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
560 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which one would you choose?

Do the Lamanai tour with Tropic, you leave the island at 8am and are back by 3pm. It's one of my fave tours and a real hit with our guests, you still do the river portion, the ruins, and the museum, you just cut out the long boat ride and bus ride to get to/from.

6. Re: Which one would you choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2013, 15:46