We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Maroon Bells before 8 am weekday - parking

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
273 posts
194 reviews
Driving to Maroon Bells before 8 am weekday - parking

Opinion on whether to try this, would be a Wed Sep 26. We plan to take the first shuttle at 8 from town if not drive ourselves.

is parking available if we went around 7:30 am do you think?

thank you in advance.

8 replies to this topic
Colorado
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
142 reviews
1. Re: Driving to Maroon Bells before 8 am weekday - parking

No one here can tell you for sure. As you are probably aware that is usually leaf change so lots of people come that time. If the lot is full just drive back to Highlands or park at Highlands and take the bus. The bus ride is actually quite good with a scripted presentation of information about the area that adds value.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
273 posts
194 reviews
2. Re: Driving to Maroon Bells before 8 am weekday - parking

thanks

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Driving to Maroon Bells before 8 am weekday - parking

Last weekend we showed up at 8:05 at the gate & they turned us back. I don't think they were full...just policy. The exception was a handicap sticker. The drive from Aspen Highlands to the entry gate is about 10-15 minutes.

It's not the end of the world if you have to take the shuttle.

Edited: 10 September 2018, 07:33
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,382 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: Driving to Maroon Bells before 8 am weekday - parking

Springschick … how were the leaves then ? we are looking at driving up this week wed or thurs .. too early ?

Silly question .. when you say the exception is handicap sticker .. does that mean a handicap sticker lets us drive in after 8 ?

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Driving to Maroon Bells before 8 am weekday - parking

Yes, after 8.

Leaves had not turned as of a week ago. They had at Twin Lakes as Alli mentioned in another thread. Yesterday we were at 9,700 in Victor and were surprised they hadn't turned either. The ones that had (along the side of the road) were kinda brownish & dull. Guess we need to wait another week.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,382 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: Driving to Maroon Bells before 8 am weekday - parking

thanks, Springschick . That's what I was thinking . We live at 9300 outside divide and we have SOME turning but not enough to give it "the look" lol … we were just tempted by the dry and sunny weather predicted wed and thur

guess we'll sit tight :)

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,545 posts
265 reviews
7. Re: Driving to Maroon Bells before 8 am weekday - parking

Professional photographers will be sure to line the area around the lake, etc. ready with their high priced cameras set up on tripods to get the perfect shot of the aspen on the mountain if the fall colors are just right so I'd say it may be a gamble to get a parking spot. Some of the cameras those guys use cost more than my SUV so they are not going to want to hike in with them probably.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,382 posts
23 reviews
8. Re: Driving to Maroon Bells before 8 am weekday - parking

i'll have one of these in my car , Susie … he isn't a professional though but the whole cost more than my... lol … I'll also have his wife who is currently in chemo treatment and very weak so we unfortunately cant do much hiking in . Will just play it by ear ..

Edited: 14 September 2018, 22:46
Reply to: Driving to Maroon Bells before 8 am weekday - parking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted