We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowmass Village vs Aspen

Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Snowmass Village vs Aspen

I'm sure this question has come up many times. We are going to be in Aspen for a few nights in July. Hotels are half the price in Snowmass Village than in Aspen. I'd prefer to stay in Aspen, but wondering what Snowmass Village is like. How far is it from restaurants in Aspen? How do you get the bus to Maroon Bells from Snowmass?

Thanks,

Anna

6 replies to this topic
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,604 posts
269 reviews
1. Re: Snowmass Village vs Aspen

I'm always driving my own car and so I stay in Snowmass since it is less expensive and I'm not in Aspen for very long. I go for Maroon Bells and other areas around there. You can Google Maps it using the bus icon and that will give you the actual times the buses will run. You catch the shuttle to Maroon Bells not in Aspen but in Aspen Highlands Ski Resort. https://www.rfta.com/routes/maroon-bells/

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,629 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Snowmass Village vs Aspen

We always stay in Snowmass, unless it's shoulder season. We actually enjoy driving the scenic (15 minute) drive. There's a backway (local) drive to town.

Aspen is where "it's at". Snowmass has better views.

Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
3. Re: Snowmass Village vs Aspen

Snowmass is a ski village basically. At the base are restaurants and shops surrounded by hotels and condos. It is nice and there will be close places when you don't want to go in to Aspen. It is about 10 miles an easy drive and a good free bus service.

Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
4. Re: Snowmass Village vs Aspen

Thanks all. For the shuttle to Aspen, are there bus stops all over Snowmass Village or just in one location? How can I find out where that is? Thanks.

Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
5. Re: Snowmass Village vs Aspen

www.snowmasstransit.com/133/Routes-Schedules

Snowmass transit website. There is service through the village that brings you to a transit center for buses that go on to aspen.

Edited: 14 June 2018, 05:10
Colorado
Level Contributor
2,602 posts
146 reviews
6. Re: Snowmass Village vs Aspen

It would be helpful if you shared more. Who is we? For instance SV is a great place if you are a family of five. For a couple Aspen is much nicer.

Other than going to the Bells, what are you wanting to do? If hiking and biking, going to a rodeo, a free outdoor concert, and such are your priorities, then SV can work great. If shopping, culture, dining, nightlife are priorities, then Aspen is better.

Getting to the Bells from Aspen is easy, a bus straight from Rubey Park Transit Center to Highlands then transfer to Bells. From SV, the easiest thing to do is to ride into Aspen and then start the above. Adds about an hour roundtrip but if you pair it with a meal and window shopping it can still be pleasant.

For me, if I am a couple with only a few nights to spend I am staying in Aspen. If I ahve a longer stay, where the $$$ really add up and a family, then I am in a condo at Base Village or the mall.

Reply to: Snowmass Village vs Aspen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted