We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car camping by mine at Montgomery Reservoir?

colorado
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Topic
Car camping by mine at Montgomery Reservoir?

Over this past 4th of July weekend, we drove up Hoosier Pass and then hiked in a little from the parking lot and were very surprised to see that there were quite a few open campsites (complete with fire ring) up in there.. one looked big enough for a couple tents and like you can probably drive right up to it using the dirt road extending from the parking lot. We made note of it and said "let's definitely come back here to camp this summer".

Well here we are now at the end of the summer and will be heading back that way on Sunday. We almost had it set in stone that we'd go back to the campsite I just mentioned or another one in the vicinity. But then a friend mentioned Montgomery Reservoir and the mine and the "waterfall" and thought that might be more exciting for the kids to camp and run around there

Does anyone know if any of the terrain reachable by vehicle around there is suitable for camping? And if so, any restrictions on campfires at the moment? And finally, does the reservoir and surrounding land typically pack in much of a crowd on Labor Day weekend? Like I said, we were quite surprised by the lack of crowds atop Hoosier Pass over July 4th. So we're hoping this might be similar. Any insight here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Hoosier Pass
Hoosier Pass
80 Reviews
Breckenridge, CO
Montgomery Reservoir
Montgomery Reservoir
16 Reviews
Alma, CO
1 reply
Colorado
Level Contributor
12,534 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car camping by mine at Montgomery Reservoir?

If you don't get any replies here you might post in the City-Data forums: http://www.city-data.com/forum/colorado/

I'd suggest calling Park County with your questions http://www.parkco.us/

or the Forest Service for that area (South Park? I am not sure).

Looks like there is no fire ban in Park County.

(there's no need for 2 posts, you can remove the one in the Breckenridge forum)

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Car camping by mine at Montgomery Reservoir?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Alma