We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disneyland Mid-March

New York
Level Contributor
382 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Disneyland Mid-March

Hello,

We are traveling to Anaheim for work and would like to take a couple days to visit Disneyland - can anyone tell me if Mid-March would be considered the "off-season"? Unfortunately it looks like we are only available to go on the weekend - any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

From snowy NY!

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,468 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disneyland Mid-March

Yes, beginning Friday the 12th, which is also the day the Matterhorn Bobsleds come off of refurb. So they will be open for that time. Rivers of America is still closed, so all the boats on the river are down and Fantasmic is dark. Also closed in Disneyland Park is Honey, I Shrunk the Audience which is going to be a permanent closure but the theater is reopening with Captain EO at a day to be announced (rumored to be soon). In DCA Park, the closures will be Orange Stinger (converting to SillySymphonies) and Golden Zephyr.

I like the weekends because of the bands. You will get an 80's rock band on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and also a swing band on Saturday - in addition to a full entertainment schedule (minus Fantasmic, of course).

…go.com/disneyland/…

Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Park
Disneyland Park
24,315 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Orange
Orange
Orange County, CA
New York
Level Contributor
382 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disneyland Mid-March

Thanks RedlandsRedhead! In the research I've done it appears that we will miss the "spring break rush". I expect any theme park to be busy on the weekends, but it's our only time in CA this year and want to make the best of it. Any expert advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disneyland Mid-March

Actually, Spring Break Season starts with the week of March 5th.

That first week, Disneyland opens an hour earlier (9 AM to 8 PM) than normal on weekdays, so slightly larger than normal hours (10 AM to 8 PM).

But starting on Friday, March 12th, Disneyland will be open 8 AM to Midnight 7 days week until April 11th. So Disney is saying they are expecting VERY Large crowds for the entire period.

Then expect shorter hours, but still longer than the 10 AM to 8 PM for the week of April 12th, as some schools get that week off.

New York
Level Contributor
382 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disneyland Mid-March

We were planning on visiting around the weekend of the 20th...Oh well! We'll make the best of it. We've been to Walt Disney World in Florida and have braved the crowds there many-a-times, I guess we'll have to do the same on the West coast this time!

Mentioned in this post
Walt Disney World
Walt Disney World
Central Florida, FL
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,468 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disneyland Mid-March

Opps! I thought I was saying yes it is peak season. I knew I was tired yesterday but I didn't think my brain was on vacation! I'm glad Darkbeer posted the specifics. I was going to post that the extended hours are 8 a.m. to midnight, but I skipped over that.

On the weekend of the 20th the 80's band is not there, but the Elvis tribute band is. That features Scott Bruce, a good Elvis impersonator. That is really worth spending a little while watching if you like the music. I saw his show once but didn't have much time and only saw him do two songs. Would have liked to stay longer.

Tips:

Make sure you enter Disneyland Park at park opening. There are less people there in the morning.

I don't know if this holds true for the Magic Kingdom, but at Disneyland and DCA the Fast Passes don't expire as long as they are used on the same day.

There are some Single Rider lines if you wouldn't mine riding alone. For Disneyland Park they are Indiana Jones and Splash Mt. You can each get a pass at the same time if you want, but need to be willing to ride separately if instructed to. With Single Rider you go almost directly to loading.

Edited: 16 February 2010, 04:34
Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Park
Disneyland Park
24,315 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
San Diego...
Level Contributor
108 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disneyland Mid-March

There is a software program you can buy called Ridemax. We purchase it every time we go to Disneyland. it is about $15 for 6 months, and it is the best use of money that we spend on any of our vacations. You go to their website and you identify what rides you want to go on, what day you will be going (date) to Disneyland, and it provides you with a few different lists, of sequences of which rides you should go on, when in order to enjoy your rides and minimize your wait times. You can change your mind, and it will give you as many options as you want, for 6 months of use. You can bring your laptop, and do it again back in your room at lunch time or dinner if you want to make changes, or decide you want to go on a certain ride again later in the day.

It sounds boring, and inflexible.....but you wont' believe how great it feels to NOT wait on any line, especially because anyone who has been to disneyland will tell you that to wait for 20 minutes on line is easily the norm, and frequently it is much longer. Ridemax is amazing. It sounds too good to be true, I know, but somehow the people who started this business continually collect waiting time data based on day of the year, and crunch tons of numbers, and voila, they can make suggestions that work for specific rides on specific days. We have gone to Disneyland 5-6 times, always on a Friday and Saturday, and we have waited in line, exactly one time, an 8 minute ride for Autopia. If you look at the website, you will see tons of testimonials, and it is also listed on about.com and other legit places. If you are going to be here, why not enjoy it?

Lastly, you absolutely HAVE to be at the gate at least 30 minutes before it opens. Go early, you;'ll be glad you did.

Have fun!

SuzieeQQ

7. Re: Disneyland Mid-March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2010, 09:47