We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cool things for a 12 year Old to do near Disneyland

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Cool things for a 12 year Old to do near Disneyland

Hello

Im taking my 12 year old nephew to DIsneyland for one week, Nov 7-14, staying at the Grand Californian, and we will have 2 days not in the park. He has never traveled outside of his basic home area, so this is huge for him.

I am wondering what kind of cool things can I take him to do within the area. I am not renting a car this trip so We will take the public bus or Uber so we can travel within an hours distance or so. He loves comic books and video games so Im going to research maybe a comic book store.

Anyone with kids around this age have any other cool ideas for activities to do?

13 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
3,626 posts
1 review
11. Re: Cool things for a 12 year Old to do near Disneyland

He's 12? He can probably navigate the internet better than you can. Give him some latitude to make some suggestions of his own.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,892 posts
441 reviews
12. Re: Cool things for a 12 year Old to do near Disneyland

>>>I didn't ask for ideas outside of Orange County, I asked for ideas "within the area" and mentioned Im OK with taking Uber or a bus up to 1 hour.<<<

Because a lot of the things mentioned by the PP are well over an hour away by Uber most times of the day. By bus they would be two hours away or more. Ask travellerCA, they just did the 460 bus to LA (Downtown) 40 miles away and I think it took 2 1/2 hours.

In other words "Los Angeles" (whatever that means since LA is huge) isn't 45 minutes away. Maybe at 5AM or 11PM parts of it are. It does a disservice in the Orange County Forum and to you to be pretending these are easy things to get to without a car and that there are not sufficient things in OC to amuse for two days.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
10 reviews
13. Re: Cool things for a 12 year Old to do near Disneyland

Disney4Eryn, I totally get the frustration but... if you haven't been here, the traffic puts anywhere in Canada except maybe the 401 in Ontario to shame. I left my office at 1:30 this afternoon and didn't get home until 3:15. It's 36 miles, from Burbank to Anaheim. I'm trying to come up with an equivalent... it'd be like saying, hey, we're going to a famous theme park in Abbotsford and taking an Uber in the morning to Kitsilano.

So "an hour away" could be as far away as Magic Mountain (if you leave at 5 a.m. on Sunday), or it could be barely getting to Laguna Beach on a holiday weekend.

Scottca075 is right that there's plenty to keep a kid occupied here without ruining your day by sitting in the most frustrating traffic in the West. But MadelineM_SF is also right that your son may have ideas of his own. If so, we can tell you truthfully how far away they are.

Reply to: Cool things for a 12 year Old to do near Disneyland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted