We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Knotts Berry Farm with Senior in Wheelchair??

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,722 posts
Knotts Berry Farm with Senior in Wheelchair??

It's been many years since I've been to Knotts Berry Farm--- What is there to do with a senior that uses a Walker/wheelchair? He can transfer, but can't ride jarring rides. Seems like it is primarily 'big' rides or 'kiddie' rides. And a couple shows? He is a Veteran, so I was thinking about taking him next month, along with a nice chicken dinner. (Probably without the kids)

8 replies to this topic
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,633 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Knotts Berry Farm with Senior in Wheelchair??

I think it might be possible for him to ride on the Rio Grande and Knott's Railroad. It's pretty hard to step up into one of the cars, since they are authenic and vintage even harder stepping out if someone is unsure with their footing. But it's possible to assist him as well as to request assistance from one of the conductors. They should allow him on before others and that way you will find a seat easier too.

I actually get a lot of pleasure just standing next to the wooden fence and looking at the train and watching as the engine is being taken care of before it leaves on its nine minute journey. In fact, I love seeing it leave and watching the steam as it fills the air around me. If he likes steam engine trains he may just like to hang out there awhile and watch. If he enjoys talking to people maybe he will be able to chat with the engineer. Although the engineer usually remains in cab, he can shout up to him if his voice is strong. It's not unusual. Train enthusiasts who happen to be in the park do this from time to time. I am not very knowledgeable about trains, but to me a real steam engine is a joy to watch. There usually at least two cowboys hanging out there. (From photos I have see lately there is a cowgirl as well.)

In thinking about the stagecoach ride, I don't think there is anyway to get into a coach from a wheelchair and it requires standing in line a long time, then ascending a small group of stairs. However, it is a nice thing to see while in the park. It can be watched nicely from the Indian Trails section of Ghost Town, near the stage by the Bottle House.

In the last few years, during peak season, the Barn in Ghost Town is open with stables. Usually two horses and a mule. Accessible and with farmhands who can talk to you about them.

I know for sure that the Mystery Lodge attraction, which is technically a show with special effects, accommodates wheelchairs. The employee asks that everyone else remains in the pre-show area when the doors and takes in anyone in a wheelchair and their family first. (They call it "readying the room".) Let me know if you want details about the attraction if you do not remember it. The area where this attraction is located is very pretty and there is a small shop right there with Native America things.

Of course, Ghost Town is always fun to look around. Wheelchairs can access Calico Saloon and there is now a table that accommodates wheelchairs. (Look for the big square one in front.) Get there before the show to get that table. But you should be able to find space on the side if you can't. Tip: The earlier shows tend to have less of an audience. By the late afternoon, it tends to get packed in there.

I like going through Camp Snoopy even though I don't care for most rides there (and they all aren't "kiddie rides"). The little train there us actually pretty nice. But I just really love the creek area there and the waterfalls. And they always have nice children's music or happy music playing, sometimes music from Peanuts. Of course, it can get crowded in Camp Snoopy with families. So it might not be worth walking through to get to the creek, unless you really want to.

I would recommend that you wait until the start of Knott's Merry Farm to go so that you get more entertainment. It usually begins the weekend before Thanksgiving now, but please double check. On weekends, there is traditionally a Christmas themed ice show in the Charles Schulz Theater. You will be allowed in through the special needs entrance at the ground level and will not need to go up the ramp to the main entrance. I have done this a couple times. Once with a friend who has limited sight and again when I was getting over a foot injury and could not climb down the steep stairs. You will still need to line up, but you won't need any kind of proof from Knott's. They allow the wheelchairs and other special needs in first. There are places for those in wheelchairs and companions seats behind the last row of the floor seating. The view is good. Alternatively, if he wishes to sit a little higher, he can transfer to the first or second balcony row and park the wheelchair. (Those rows are not much higher than the floor seats, but are graduated so might not have a head directly in front of you.)

The Birdcage Theater has two offerings for the holidays, A Christmas Carol and Gift of the Magi. There is limited wheelchair seating in the back. I did this with my mother many years ago. It's a pretty good view.

Also on weekends during Knott's Merry Farm there is likely to be a nighttime show at the Calico Mine Stage. This is where the Calico Stage was moved to, on the other side of the tracks. Calico Square is now Calico Park and has a lower, smaller stage and some tables and chairs. This is where the tree lighting will be.

The Calico Mine Stage will have limited seating in front, but a place for wheelchairs and other handicapped in front.

There is a snowfall show at night in Ghost Town, which is quite lovely. Usually, three times a night.

If you happen to end up going at a time when you cannot take advantage of the Veterans special, there is the jr/sr ticket. A senior is 62 and old for the purpose of that ticket. The ticket price is currently $52 or $53.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Edited: 06 October 2018, 13:30
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,633 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Knotts Berry Farm with Senior in Wheelchair??

I forgot to mention during Merry Farm the Wilderness Dance Hall becomes Santa's Cabin. Besides Santa, there are fresh baked cookies for sale, hot chocolate, and even mulled wine. Lots of room inside and very cozy, Christmasy feeling. Just outside there may be tables and chairs set up for those who would like to sit out with wine. Usually gas heaters at night there.

And I should add that night time show I wrote about is very good with talented young people.

Let me know if you want or need to know what Mrs. Knott's is like now.

Edited: 06 October 2018, 13:47
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,722 posts
3. Re: Knotts Berry Farm with Senior in Wheelchair??

Thanks Red! Sounds like beginning of Knott's Merry Farm will be best. I don't want to deal with huge crowds, but the ambiance of the holidays sounds great- particularly for Grandpa. And maybe I'll bring the kids :)

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,633 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Knotts Berry Farm with Senior in Wheelchair??

I just found this list of unique experiences that Knott's has listed.

https:/…unique-experiences

Note that Independence Hall is across the street from the Knott's Market Place and Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant. So to get there you need to take the open air pedestrian tunnel. That is steep at either end, so not good at all with a walker. Better with a wheelchair, although hard for the person pushing depending on the strength. (Some elderly people using wheelchairs might have a little fear at a steep downgrade, even if it's relatively short like this.)

Parking:

There is handicapped parking on Grand, the street that runs through the Knott's Resort. If he has a handicapped placard take that. If not, that is the lot you will want to choose to avoid that tunnel. Get there early for the best choice of parking spot. Park always opens at 10. I like to aim for parking at 9. Just go pop into the bakery first or have a look in the shops.

Edited: 11 October 2018, 02:02
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,722 posts
5. Re: Knotts Berry Farm with Senior in Wheelchair??

Thanks- it is usually me who pushes Grandpa, so steep ramps are out. But those type of experiences will be fun for the whole family.

California
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Knotts Berry Farm with Senior in Wheelchair??

About that chicken dinner...it isn't what it used to be. They remodeled some time ago and their chicken has gone down hill. It got pricier and it's just not as good as it once was. After the last time I tried it, I would not be returning.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,633 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Knotts Berry Farm with Senior in Wheelchair??

Let me assure you, Mrs. Knott's Chicken is just as good as ever. I have dined there three times since the remodel and was very happy. The remodel is very nice and true to the family history. There is a nicer and wider waiting area with comfortable seating and a glass case with family artifacts. The garden room was converted to a bar. The wine is much better and they have specialty drinks. I do miss the stain glass windows that were in the garden room and the mural that was in the entry way.

Edited: 16 October 2018, 20:09
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,633 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Knotts Berry Farm with Senior in Wheelchair??

Information on military ticket deals is now available. Here is a link to the thread I started with the official information.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29092…

Reply to: Knotts Berry Farm with Senior in Wheelchair??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted