We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA Trip April 2018

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
1 review
USA Trip April 2018

Hi all

My husband, daughter (16yo) and I are going to USA from 5th April to 20th April 2019. We are flying in and out of LA and planning on going to Disneyland & Adventure Park. I have received different advice on how long we should set aside to go to the parks. My husband & I have never been before but my daughter went with my sister a few years ago. She thinks we need a week, but my niece who is a little older thinks we need only 3-4 days. I'm confused! While we are in LA we would also like to visit all the typical tourist spots like Santa Monica Pier, etc.... I think we could do a one day tour.

We also want to go to the Grand Canyon and stay one night, and also visit Las Vegas for a few nights. I've been told outlet shopping is best in Las Vegas. We were thinking of driving so we could see as much as possible. Should we drive from LA to GC and then LV? Or LA to LV and then GC??? Hellllpppp!! :-)

And now I have realised that the last few days of our trip are spring break so we don't want to get caught up in any traffic jams (or does that just happen all of the time??).

Any advice or itinerary suggestions would be very much appreciated and welcomed. Thank you.

14 replies to this topic
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,632 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: USA Trip April 2018

You only need three to four days for the parks, but longer if you want to go other places and do other things.

Keep in mind that Disneyland and Disney California Adventure (DCA) are not in LA. Anaheim is in Orange County at least an hour drive from LA. You can drive to Santa Monica for the day but if you want to spend more than one day in LA then you will need to split your stay with a few days in Anaheim and a few days in Los Angeles.

2. Re: USA Trip April 2018

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2018, 14:17

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
30,722 posts
94 reviews
3. Re: USA Trip April 2018

Part of the reason why Australians and people from New Zealand go for so long is a 10 day Parkhopper Pass is available to them for about $50 more than a 3 day Parkhopper ticket, so its a good value. So they may tend to spend the week in Anaheim, and do various other things renting a car and partial days at Disneyland, so its up to what your style is.

Usually 3 or 4 days is a good amount of time for Disneyland as their are two Parks and over 100 attraction that can easily take up that amount of time. But some will spend alot more time, its just up to what you want to do.

Nothing exciting about the drive from LA to Las Vegas. You could easily fly for around $50 one way on something like Southwest Airlines. But again, if you want to drive you can. Its about a 4.5 hour drive.

The option of Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon and back is less driving time. Make sure you are actually visiting the Grand Canyon South rim though, and not visiting the West Rim which is closer to Las Vegas, and has the Helecopter Tour to, its not going to have the same views at all as the South Rim would offer which is what everyone is thinking about when wanting to visit.

Dont travel to Las Vegas from LA on a Friday, or back to LA on a Sunday. Traffic is heavy with Southern California locals visiting Las Vegas. And yes you can expect heavier traffic during the larger Spring Break for Schools which falls the full week before Easter Sunday each year. Easter Sunday is April 21 for 2019. Some Schools will take the full week after off. And there are various School Competitions and Conventions mid March to later April making it busy at Theme Park like Disneyland.

I would suggest you visit any Theme Parks as early in your trip as possible.

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
1 review
4. Re: USA Trip April 2018

Thank you

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,718 posts
5. Re: USA Trip April 2018

There has been a great deal for Australian an NZ residents-- buy 4 days for the price of 2---so maybe plan on 4 days for the parks? 5 nights in Anaheim? Fairly recent thread about deal

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29092…

I would do some sort of loop, with the last couple nights in LA for LA sights and 'beach' day in Malibu and Santa Monica. And it gets you close to LAX.

Are you interested in San Diego- great city, zoo, sea world. Or what about the desert? Palm Springs, Joshua Tree, Death Valley.

Anaheim > (San Diego? Palm Springs? Lake Havasu? Kingman?) > Grand Canyon > Las Vegas > (Death Valley?) > Los Angeles / Santa Monica

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,899 posts
120 reviews
6. Re: USA Trip April 2018

April is a good month to see Grand Canyon.A problem with Grand Canyon is how remote that it is. It is a spectacular sight, but many tourists saturate on the scenery after only an hour. That’s a killer when you consider the amount of time invested to there. There are Ranger talks, iconic restaurants, and you should try to see the canyon at sunset, so it’s worth spending a night there. We included stops in Las Vegas, Flagstaff (Lowell Observatory), and Sedona (4WD Jeep tour) on our Spring Break vacation.

For me, as the parent, I would be happy with 3 days at the Disney parks.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,466 posts
262 reviews
7. Re: USA Trip April 2018

April is beautiful along the California coast, everytihng is green and flower filled, I'd recommend you drive up the coast to Big Sur or Monterrey at that time of year.

I would arrive, go to Anaheim first for your 3 Disney days, then transfer to LA. If you don't want to rent a car, you won't need one until after LA., 3-4 days is good here, then it's up to you whether to go east or up the coast. Me? It'd be up the coast!

United States
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
143 reviews
8. Re: USA Trip April 2018

I’d spend at least 4 days in the Disney parks. Look into some of those special ticket deals for Australian residents.

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
1 review
9. Re: USA Trip April 2018

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I really like the sound of the itinerary suggested by lemoncurls, and I will definitely check out the Disney ticket offer.

Southern California
Level Contributor
15,447 posts
1 review
10. Re: USA Trip April 2018

Be sure to check the dates for Coachella 2019 if you decide to visit the Palm Springs area, lodging costs will be sky high. Looks like next year the festival starts April 12.

Reply to: USA Trip April 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted