We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halloween Question

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Halloween Question

So on the website it says that Halloween starts Sept 7th? We are currently slated to arrive for our 5 day trip on the 7th, but we would love to have pictures with the characters in the regular costumes. Is it as cut an dry as on Sept 6th all the characters will be in normal outfits and then on the 7th they will all be in different costumes? Or is it a gradual change? Just wondering if moving my arrival day up by one day would really make a difference or not.

Thanks for any help.

10 replies to this topic
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
30,465 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halloween Question

Some elemwants of Halloweentime are out up gradually, but alot, yes will magically just appear on that first day including usually characters in Halloween type costumes. You have a pretty good bet if you arrive the day before to get characters in their regular outfits

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,412 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halloween Question

I think it may depend upon the character and it may even depend upon which park you are in. Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, Goofy and maybe Pluto will be dressed on costume in Disney California Adventure. (Maybe not Pluto.) Possibly in Disneyland when on Main Street as well, but that's hard to tell. But Mickey and Minnie both have houses in Mickey's Toon Town and I think they are not wearing costumes for just hanging around the house and meeting visitors.

In Fantasyland the characters don't dress in costume. So the following will be in their own clothes: Mad Hatter, Alice, Peter Pan, Captain Hook, Pinocchio, Gaston, Belle (in blue dress), Aurora. The princesses in the Fantasy Faire Royal Hall will wear their own dress (three of the following Belle in yellow dress, Cinderella, Snow White, Rapunzel). Tiana is most often in New Orleans Square or at the Mark Twain and will be wearing her lovely dress. Others that might be seen near the castle will not be dressed in Halloween costumes. Jasmine and Aladdin, Flynn Rider and Rapunzel.

Pooh and his friends don't normally wearing Halloween costumes.

Chip and Dale sometimes wear Halloween costumes. I think that is mostly when they are in DCA not DL.

More villians will be out and about.

Any character based on Marvel and Star Wars will dress as normal.

Not sure about Pixar Characters.

Just to mention, the Dapper Dans Barbershop Quartette will be dressed in orange and white stripes. They will sing mostly Halloween based songs.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 02:26
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,412 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halloween Question

I forget one of the Royal Hall Princesses - Ariel.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 02:31
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,412 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halloween Question

Oh, and Mary and Bert will be dressed normally as well.

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Halloween Question

Wow thanks, that is everything I needed to know! As long as we can snap a picture with the core characters in toon town in their normal clothes that will be perfect! My kids are toddlers so they don't really know anyone else anyways except maybe the Cars people, which I'm guess they will be dressed up in DCA

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
30,465 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halloween Question

Characters mostly in Toon town will not be roaming around. Mickey and Minnie will be at their houses which require you to wait in lines.

I would suggest coming in the day before. Shortly after Park opening Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Pluto will all be there at the head of Main Street for a short meet and greet. Lines are very short and easy to see Characters. But up to what you may want to do. And it depends alot specifically on what Characters you are wanting to see?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
109 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Halloween Question

We are arriving Sept 5 until about the 16th and I was unaware when I booked that Halloween starts so soon. I’m pleased to hear that many of the ordinary characters will be still available, but will the rides be the usual or will they be the special Halloween versions. I guess the Halloween theme would be a fun change if you visit frequently but we would like the traditional rides. Thanks to all for your input.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 07:56
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
30,465 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Halloween Question

On the day Halloweentime starts, the Haunted Mansion will open with its quirky Halloween/Christmas Theme which is quite fun. And Space Mountain.. usually gets an overlay to and changes over to Ghost Galaxy. In California Adventure Park, Carsland also get somewhat overlaid for Halloweentime. Guardians of the Galaxy also changes over at night to "Monsters after dark" version.

Here is more info on attractions that would usually have an overlay of some sort put on for Halloweentime as well as other info on the season.

wdwinfo.com/disneyland/Events/Halloween.htm

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
109 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Halloween Question

Thanks for that. Seems amazing that they start celebrating Halloween 7 weeks ahead, It seems appropriate enough for the Haunted Mansion etc but hopefully most of both parks will be as normal (here we have only recently started celebrating Halloween and only on October 31). Oh well, as in Rome... 😊

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,412 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Halloween Question

It's really more like a seasonal celebration at that point. They call it Halloweentime, but it's more whimsical and fall-like. Lots of pumpkin decorations and spiced treats. It's a bit confusing because the weather that week will be very hot and summery, and it likely will be the same for a couple of weeks after that as well.

The farms will start getting ready for harvest season that occurs a couple of weeks after you are here. Yes, we have farms in Southern California. For instance, both Julian in the mountains in San Diego County and Oak Glen near the San Bernardino mountains will begin apple harvest in mid September and attract out of town tourists. I live near Oak Glen. I know one farm there grows pumpkins too. Our local pumpkin patch in Live Oak Canyon opens the third weekend of September and we begin to see their fields full of pumpkins in mid September. I personally don't care to do fall activities until it's cooler and I don't like going to Oak Glen until most of the tourists are gone.

Disneyland Resort Parks will, for the most part, have a normal appearance. Just a lot of orange! Main Street will have bunting that is orange and white. Usually in summer it's red, white, and blue. This year it's Pixar colors.

In DCA you will see really whimsical decorations in Carsland.

On your visit, it's probably just going to feel like summer but with a lot of pumpkins.

You can see examples on You Tube. For instance, the Fresh Baked Disney Channel goes to Disneyland and DCA every Saturday and uploads video segments each day. So you can look back at their videos from the beginning of last September and see what things are like.

By the way, don't think if it as when in Rome. To most of us in America Hallween is only one day/night. It's just theme parks, movie releases, and merchandise in stores that make it seem to last for weeks. It's become popular to decorate lawns earlier, but that's not all over. My family members decorate the day of, if we are giving out candy. And that's actually a pretty early date for Disneyland, the earliest I think. That seems more like something Walt Disney World would do. Usually they are earlier than DLR.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 13:01
Reply to: Halloween Question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted