We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Joshua Tree

Tonawanda, New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
18 reviews
To Joshua Tree

Considering a day trip to Joshua Tree Ntl Park this Friday, traveling from Anaheim. Only have that day. Really want to see “all things desert”; landscape, vegetation, etc.., Thoughts on when to travel (traffic) and if it’s doable.

7 replies to this topic
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,738 posts
1. Re: To Joshua Tree

I really enjoy JTree, so I think you should go! I would leave at 9am or so and plan on returning after sunset- maybe have dinner out there. (Most of the main sites are on the north side of the park)

You could also consider the Indian Canyons and Living Desert Zoo and Gardens, I think a little closer than the national park.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,738 posts
2. Re: To Joshua Tree

Pack a lunch, plenty of water (no water in the park), snacks.

Hat/sunscreen/sunglasses.

Tonawanda, New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: To Joshua Tree

Thank you. Google says it should take 2h and 45m. Does that sound right?

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,738 posts
4. Re: To Joshua Tree

Yes, that sounds about right.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
4,385 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: To Joshua Tree

It's doable, and this is the time of the year to go—especially since it hasn't rained much and the trails will be dry.

All of the food is along the northern edge of the park. I especially recommend Pie for the People (a pizzeria, and the coffee place behind it) in the town of Joshua Tree. When you go out of the main gate, make a left on 62 and it's the next block, on the right hand side.

Edited: 07 February 2018, 10:32
Tonawanda, New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: To Joshua Tree

Thanks everyone! So should we just route ourselves to the JT Visitor Center? And as far as leaving Anaheim at 9a should we be ok with traffic?

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
4,385 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: To Joshua Tree

I've left from Anaheim Hills heading east (usually toward Phoenix but sometimes toward Vegas) at 8 a.m. and other than a little sticky traffic in downtown Riverside, it's really not bad. You'd be in JT around 10:30-10:45. Yes, approach from the main visitor's center which is off Hwy. 62 in JT.

Reply to: To Joshua Tree
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted