We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens AL a good place to stay?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Athens AL a good place to stay?

Hi-

My family (2 young children) will be traveling to Florida in a couple weeks and we were thinking of staying in Athens. I am unfamiliar with the area. I wanted to make sure it’s safe and good place overall to stop. Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
602 reviews
1. Re: Athens AL a good place to stay?

You will be fine in Athens. It is safe. I have passed the exit many times but don't remember much about it. If you are worried then try coming into Huntsville or Birmingham if you care to drive a little further. There are lots of nicer exits with hotels and restaurants closer to B'ham.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
441 reviews
2. Re: Athens AL a good place to stay?

Athens is safe. There are several relatively new hotels just off the interstate and many options for dining. Take the kids to Big Spring Park to play and feed the ducks. The newer hotels at exit 351/Hwy 72 are Hampton Inn & Suites, Fairfield Inn & Suites and Holiday Inn Express. Avoid the Econo Lodge and Bomar Inn! Lots of fast food options and some local/regional chains like Lawlers BBQ and Jacks. For local dining try Clark's Restaurant or Ro's Grille. Kreme Delight is a wonderful old time walk-up ice cream stand with soft serve and great chili dogs. My favorite at Kreme Delight is the upside down banana split.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Athens AL a good place to stay?

Thank you! I appreciate it!

Reply to: Athens AL a good place to stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Athens