We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with National Parks Tour

14 posts
Save Topic
Need help with National Parks Tour

I am trying to finalize our Sept. Trip. Please help me with the most logical sequence of parks and cities that will make the most out of our time. We will Fly into Bozeman on Sept. 11 and fly out of Bozeman on the 25th. We would like to spend 3-4 days in Yellowstone (use a hotel in West Yellowstone as a base), GTNP for two days(not sure where to stay), Jackson Hole for one day, Cody for one night to go to museum, Mount Rushmore for one day. Maybe you can include some interesting sites on our way to Mount Rushmore. I realize that is a lot of driving, but Rushmore is on my husband's bucket list. I have 4 days to play with to add extra attractions. THank you so much. I have been working on this trip for weeks but just can't get the pattern I need to take without wasting too much time.

Mentioned in this post
4 replies to this topic
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
16,888 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with National Parks Tour

One approach would be to travel into YNP (via the north or west entrance) and see some sights there, then out the south entrance into Jackson Hole (the valley). Stay in the town of Jackson or one of the lodging options in Grand Teton National Park. Jackson and GTNP are both in Jackson Hole, the valley and everything is close - so not a lot of driving needed in the Tetons. Then I'd drive back up into YNP via the south gate, drive along the eastern side to exit out the east entrance to Cody - and then on to your next stop. If you've not considered visiting Little Big Horn, I highly recommend it - and the drive east from Cody through Shell Canyon to LBH is a gorgeous drive.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 01:08
Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,040 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with National Parks Tour

Historic town of Buffalo, WY makes for an interesting stop.

Personally would do longer drives to Mt Rushmore first then head back West.

Bozeman to Little Big Horn, Mt Rushmore, then across WY to Cody, Grand Tetons and Jackson and last Yellowstone and back to Bozeman.

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
Wyoming
Bozeman
Bozeman
Montana
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,207 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with National Parks Tour

Winter weather possibilities were mentioned on your previous threads.

Depending on flight time, your first and last nights may need to be near the airport.

If you want the long drive out of the way first, go from:

11. Bozeman to Billings (overnight?)

12-13. to Little Big Horn, then on to Devils Tower and Mt Rushmore, etc

14-15. Then return and do Cody/museum

16. You were interested in Dubois earlier? Or add a day near Keystone for more things there, and move Cody to 15-16.

17-18-19 GTNP/Jackson

20-21-22-23 GTNP to West Yellowstone for YNP at the end.

24 May need to be near airport. If the Beartooth Highway is open, you could make a long drive from West Yellowstone, or look for 23 in Gardiner or Cooke City and drive it on the 24.

Mentioned in this post
Bozeman
Bozeman
Montana
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Dubois
Dubois
Wyoming
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Beartooth Highway
Beartooth Highway
442 Reviews
Montana
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
16,888 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with National Parks Tour

"We will Fly into Bozeman on Sept. 11 and fly out of Bozeman on the 25th."

I flew into Billings two Septembers in a row during the same time frame and had fabulous weather the first year and good weather then next year. The first year the temps were in the 80s the entire time we were in Yellowstone. The following year, it snowed in the middle of the trip but the snow immediately melted on the roads and all was fine. It can snow in any month - including June snows that really impacted visitors' trips (based on reading trip reports here). I'm returning this September. Pack layers and be prepared for low temps no matter when you go.

Mentioned in this post
Bozeman
Bozeman
Montana
Billings
Billings
Montana
Reply to: Need help with National Parks Tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;