We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to DC, driving, best route?

boston, ma
1 post
Save Topic
Boston to DC, driving, best route?

I'm driving to DC from Boston next Saturday and want the absolute fastest way to go. I've done it before and gotten burned on the NJ turnpike so I'd like to avoid that highway if possible. Avoiding NYC entirely doesn't sound so bad either. Does anyone with more experience doing this drive than I do have some enlightening advice?

National Air and Space Museum Private...
6 reviews
from US$ 65.00*
National Museum of American History...
2 reviews
from US$ 119.00*
Washington DC All-Loops Hop-On...
50 reviews
from US$ 49.00*
National Mall and National Gallery of...
1 review
from US$ 119.00*
Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,160 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston to DC, driving, best route?

From Boston to DC, take the Mass Turnpike (I-90) to I-84. Stay on I-84 into PA and pickup I-81 south. Then you have a couple of options. Stay on I-81 until Harrisburg and take I-83 into Baltimore to I-695 (Baltimore Beltway), then take I-95 south to DC. Or, stay on I-81 until just outside Harrisburg and take Route 15 south. You will encounter some traffic lights and stop and go traffic until you get out of the Harrisburg Metro area. Stay on Route 15 until you get to Frederick, MD and get on I-70 heading into the DC area I-270 to I-495 (DC Beltway).

States side
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston to DC, driving, best route?

I like the Harrisburg route as well, though most of the times I find the 95 and Turnpike are faster by an hour or so, but it is such an ugly route I usually take the 15, have lunch in Gettysburg, and enjoy the countryside.

3. Re: Boston to DC, driving, best route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 15:07