We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bringing back soap from Barcelona

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
785 posts
258 reviews
Save Topic
bringing back soap from Barcelona

I appreciate any help.....Would it be a problem for me to bring back some handmade soap from a shop in Barcelona Spain? Thanks in advance.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bringing back soap from Barcelona

Here's the Customs website on prohibited merchadise:

cbp.gov/xp/…prohibited_restricted.xml

I don't see a prohibition on soap, but there are restrictions on some kinds of animal products (among other things). You should read the list and make sure you're OK with it.

When it doubt, list it on your Customs declaration form at the time you arrive. Failing to declare prohibited items is when folks get into real trouble.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
785 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bringing back soap from Barcelona

Like what is the worst that can happen if I forget to declare 5 bars of soap? Thanks for getting back to me.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bringing back soap from Barcelona

I don't know what the worst would be. But that website I linked to says, for example, that failing to declare an agricultural item can result in a $300 fine for a first offense. No idea if that applies in your case.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bringing back soap from Barcelona

"Would it be a problem for me to bring back some handmade soap from a shop in Barcelona Spain? "

Answer #1 It might be for you, don't think it would be for me as I pack light.

Answer #2 Depends on which shop? could you be more specific?

Couldn't decide on what the best answer would be.

Just wondering if you are in Ft Myers, why are you posting this question in DC?

Did you consider asking CBP directly?

and the worst that can happen is you will have to bath with american soap, I guess.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
785 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bringing back soap from Barcelona

I move between DC and Fort Myers. The soaps are from a small boutique shop that I bought while I am in Spain. The soaps are not for me but for someone else. Thanks in advance. Oh the reason I decided to post in DC, is because generally people there are more knowledgeable about this sort of thing.

Edited: 27 June 2011, 14:47
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bringing back soap from Barcelona

I don't have any personal experience with this, but one of my coworkers brought back a prohibited item (cigars) from a trip she took, and she did not get fined. However, she was forced to destroy the cigars in the presence of the customs official at immigration in the U.S. Honestly, I think that the worst that would likely happen (if soap is not allowed, but I bet it's fine) is that the soap would be confiscated.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
732 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bringing back soap from Barcelona

If it's not an animal or agricultural product you should be fine. I bring back toiletries all the time when I'm abroad. The only issue would be if there were a liquid or a gel and you are putting them in your carry on luggage, but if it's handmade, that probably isn't going to be the case.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bringing back soap from Barcelona

I don't think you'll have a problem with soap or toiletry items. However you can look through the CBP web page for information and even ask a question on one portion: http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/

Also, if you know ahead of time what port you'll return through you can contact that port and ask if it will be a problem.

If all else fails just be sure to claim in on your import form that the airline hands out and the worst they'll do is confiscate it, if it's not allowed. Failure to declare is where you risk getting in trouble and fined.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
785 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bringing back soap from Barcelona

Thanks again to everyone for your help. Much appreciated.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bringing back soap from Barcelona

another option on a serious note, is to see if they ship internationally.