We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitehouse Tour what to wear?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
89 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Whitehouse Tour what to wear?

What is appropriate? I am feeling maybe my normal sight seeing jeans and sneakers may not be appropriate. And how long are you there? Should I dress and wear heels?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,283 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitehouse Tour what to wear?

If you are just getting the regular tour, then just wear your regular tourist clothes. If you are getting a private tour from the White House staff, then you need to dress up a bit more. It is a self-guided tour and you can ask questions of the folks guarding each room, so the time can vary. The number I have seen the most seems to be about 45 minutes.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,194 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitehouse Tour what to wear?

When we went last July we were very casual -- shorts and such. We were not out of place.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,610 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitehouse Tour what to wear?

Agree with Darrell - for the normal self-guided tours regular "tourist wear" is fine.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
89 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whitehouse Tour what to wear?

Thank you. Since not sure if we are with a group or not (last minute set up thru an inside connection) I am going to go half dressy but comfy sneakers to tour afterwards elsewhere. Hope it's appropriate. I will post an update here afterwards for other inquring minds. ;-)

massachusetts
Level Contributor
17 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whitehouse Tour what to wear?

Thanks I would love to know...we have put in three requests and finally got approved for 4/20. I plan on wearing khakis and a button down shirt. Now I have to keep my fingers crossed that the gov't continues to run. lol

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Whitehouse Tour what to wear?

If I was attending a White House Tour, I would wear:

A solid color polo shirt. Navy Blue.

Nice clean pair of Khakis

Sneakers, or whatever pair of conservative shoes you have..

Washington DC
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Whitehouse Tour what to wear?

As Darrell said, the East Wing tour (the public tour) of the White House does not have a dress code. Typical tourist dress is fine. Shorts and sandals would be fine if the weather is hot.

The only tour with a dress code is the West Wing tour. It has a business casual dress code (no shorts, jeans, tshirts, open toed shoes, etc etc). The only way to get a West Wing tour is if you know someone who works at the EOP (or have really good connections).

The East Wing tour typically takes 30-45 minutes depending on how many people are on it. The West Wing tour takes closer to 30 minutes since it is less crowded.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,283 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whitehouse Tour what to wear?

The regular public tour goes in through the East Wing, but the tour is of the main, central White House, not of the East Wing where the First Lady has her offices.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
89 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whitehouse Tour what to wear?

Well folks, I have been there now and have "seen" it for myself. We were on an EAST wing tour... (didn't know there was a West Wing tour) and that is the same wing where the public enters for self guided tours...however, we had an intern meeting us and walking us through the same route the public tours take so ours was more personalized, but she didn't take us downstairs into the flower shop or kitchen below which some WH guides may do.

First of all, about 90% of all the tourists on the tour there were wearing nicer clothing. Many men in suits, jackets, etc and in general everyone was dressed in business casual or nicer. I only saw maybe a small handful of people who were wearing true casual tourist clothing like sneakers, warm up pants, etc,....even jeans were scarce. But our intern said it really doesn't matter... she was, of course, in a business dress and low heels.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
89 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whitehouse Tour what to wear?

Also, I was amazed out how many people did NOT follow instructions and so brought some small clutch purses, etc. Don't do it. It just gets you held up at the gate. In fact, if your birthday on your I.D. doesn't match the birthdate given for the original background check, we were told that causes a lot of hold ups at the gate. DO bring a cell phone cause apparently that is the only way the intern has of contacting you when she is approaching the gate and looking through the crowds for her people. You submit that number on your application so make sure the cell phone is with you, and your I.D. ....but nothing else. You will be asked to turn off your cell when you enter but you are allowed to turn it back on at the end of the tour when you come out of the front of the White House and once you are out from under the portico on the road leading to the gate, you can stop and take a couple of photos of yourselves in front of the White House with your cell phone camera.