We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White House visits for UK citizens

Bangor
Level Contributor
28 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
White House visits for UK citizens

We are visiting Washington DC in March and would like to visit the White House and the FBI builing. The Bristish Embassy site no longer helps and neither do the various congressmen mentioned on other posts. Any ideas?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
994 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White House visits for UK citizens

I think you need to contact the British Embassy directly - I'm pretty sure that's your only option. Only US citizens can request White House tours through their representitives. I would do this as soon as possible. It's generally recommended to set up the tour about 6 months in advance.

As for the FBI Building, I wasn't aware that they were open to the public... maybe someone else can help.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,169 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White House visits for UK citizens

The FBI has not had public tours for several decades.

Bangor
Level Contributor
28 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White House visits for UK citizens

Thank you but the British Embassy web site says they can't arrange tours.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,169 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White House visits for UK citizens

The White House site says to contact your embassy and your embassy's site says they cannot help you arrange a White House tour. We used to recommend contacting DC's representative Eleanor Holmes Norton. If her office is no longer willing to help, you are pretty much out of luck. Compared to the palaces of the UK, the White House is rather a disappointment to many people.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White House visits for UK citizens

No tours of FBI; the building has been off limits for 10+ years now. There is a good FBI exhibit in the Newseum.

The White House really isn't that much to see considering the effort it is going to take you to get in there. Suggest that you go to George Washington's house Mount Vernon.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
994 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White House visits for UK citizens

I agree with the others... the White House is suprisingly unimpressive. It's cooler from the outside. The structure is beautiful, but inside it's essentially just a house/office building.

I'm really curious to know what the British Embassy won't assist. I checked their website and it does in fact say the following:

"Unfortunately, the British Embassy is unable to facilitate White House tours for members of the public visiting Washington, DC"

No explaination is given. I wonder if they were inundated with requests.

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
426 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: White House visits for UK citizens

>No explaination is given. I wonder if they were inundated with requests.<

Probably. I'd also guess that there are so so many more people that want to visit who are US citizens, let alone loads of foreign tourists that they just want to be as fair as possible.

Enjoy seeing the outside (both sides) at night, in the dark and as alone as possible if you can. It's amazing :)

Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: White House visits for UK citizens

I just got a White House tour in October 2010 for myself (US citizen) and an Irish friend who was visiting. They gave both of us passes for tours. If you know an American who can apply online with you, I think you may a tour.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: White House visits for UK citizens

Although it does not seem like you will get into the White House via your embassy here and the FBI is closed for public tours....try the International Spy Museum. It is well done and filled with intrigue. It can be a good substitute for the FBI.

The White House Visitors Center has good information and will be a way of learning more about the White House itself without actually getting in. They have the White House ornaments for purchase which will be a fine souvenir.

10. Re: White House visits for UK citizens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2011, 10:10