We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night time activities in DC with kids?

Miami, Fl
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Night time activities in DC with kids?

What are some possible night time activities to do with kids in Washington DC? We thought about going to walk around Georgetown and maybe grab some dinner but what else can we do at night?

Best Seller
Washington DC Monuments by Moonlight...
1,560 Reviews
from US$ 43.00*
Washington DC Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley...
1,382 Reviews
from US$ 13.50*
Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
337 Reviews
from US$ 150.00*
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,372 posts
58 reviews
1. Re: Night time activities in DC with kids?

ages? interests?

shows, music, ghost tours...

texas
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: Night time activities in DC with kids?

I just posted on your other topic. We did the monuments at night on our own. Fabulous and loads of people at all hours.

Saint Louis
Level Contributor
306 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Night time activities in DC with kids?

My daughter has lived in D.C. for 7years, so we have visited over 20 times experiencing the city and all it has to offer. One of my all time favorite things to do is the Monuments by Moonlight Tour. So much so that over the Easter Day weekend I am bringing my two nieces with me and have already booked this tour for them. These tours do sell out on the weekends and during the busy vacation periods, so you need to reserve it ahead of time if you really want to go. Old Time Trolley does a good one, but the open air doubledecker one (www.citysightsdc.com) is wonderful if the weather is good. The main difference is that Old Time Trolley actually stops at the Memorials and narrates a tour, while the double decker just stops for a photo shot. Depends on what your kids would prefer. The ticket for the citysights doubledecker hop on hop off daily bus tours is good for two days, so I will do that one for our day sightseeing and booked the Old Town Trolley for our Monuments by Moonlight Tour. I hope this helps. There may be D.C. locals who have a better recomendation and I would love to hear from there as I am always up for trying something new. As a side note, I would definitely take your kids to the Newseum. It is only about 2 years old and is fabulous!

Saint Louis
Level Contributor
306 posts
32 reviews
4. Re: Night time activities in DC with kids?

I made an error in my reply. It is not the Old Town Trolley that we are doing our Monuments by Moonlight Tour with; it is Tourmobile. We like theirs the best because it actually stops at the Jefferson Memorial and the others do not.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: Night time activities in DC with kids?

The Tourmobile evening tour, however is one of the longest: ~3-1/2 hours long, ending at about 10:30 PM. Which is often too much for kids on top of a day of sightseeing; even the teens I did it with several years ago were zoning out or getting antsy. But you know your audience better than we do ;-) I would add that although the Old Town Trolley driver-guide does not get off the trolley (it's not a double-decker) with you, OTT's tour is not as bare bones as perhaps the post above might suggest.

As neslaw indicated, more specific info from you (also dates because some things aren't offered year-round) will enable us to give more meaningful feedback.

Edited: 22 March 2010, 00:08
Saint Louis
Level Contributor
306 posts
32 reviews
6. Re: Night time activities in DC with kids?

Tourmobile is a long tour, but we always schedule it for the evening we get in. Our flight arrives at 3, time to get to the hotel, unpack, grab a bite to eat and the kids at that time are really excited to head out. Even though it is dark, you will get an overview of how this beautiful city is laid out before you begin all of your scheduled activities. I agree with the previous comment; you DO NOT want to schedule this one after a long day of touring.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
7. Re: Night time activities in DC with kids?

How old are the kids?

Monuments by moonlight tour - guided or on your own.

Depending on dates - baseball game at Nationals Park.

Dinner downtown at Matchbox (fab pizza, mini-burgers)

Dinner at Zola next door to International Spy Museum.

Friday Evening Parade at Marine Barracks on Capitol Hill. Google it and you can request reservations.

Adventurous? Dinner in the bird cage at Mie n Yu restaurant in Georgetown.

More ideas at official tourism website at www.washington.org.

Great theatre options - Little Shop of Horrors at Ford's Theatre or Woolly Mammoth for edgy theatre.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Night time activities in DC with kids?

As I and others have suggested before, you can also consider the free concerts of all types, held each evening in the "great hall" of the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. It's a 600-foot long, red-carpeted lobby, beautifully furnished with art donated by various countries. It's okay to wander in late, or leave early, if you wish. To see the nightly concert schedule, go to the Kennedy Center's website and then click on "Millennium Stage."

Edited: 27 March 2010, 07:33
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,808 posts
98 reviews
9. Re: Night time activities in DC with kids?

I appreciate hearing that seeing monuments at night is pretty cool -- that's what I was thinking. I also appreciate hearing that a 3 1/2 nighttime tour is a lot if you do too much during the day ( I was thinking the same thing / want to see a lot, but have a pretty relaxed pace, save energy for this, and think I'm planning it that way -- enough to do/keep us busy, but not too much??) Let me know what you think.

We just have two days in Washington (My active 74 year old mom (good shape with daily aerobics and tennis)), me (I'll be 50 then), and my son (will be 15 then) for an October weekend (our two full days are Friday Oct 15 and a Saturday Oct 16)

We get in lates Thurday night -- after 10 p.m.

My plan for Day 1 Friday is to // Visit the Capitol and the Library of Congress // Go back to our hotel for swimming / dinner / relaxation and then do the Tourmobile evening twilight monument tour that goes from 7 - 10:30 p.m.. Do you think this will be too much for us? I thought if we just did the Capitol Tour and the Library of Congress and had relaxation time after monring / early afternoon activities we'd be fine for a three and a half hour evening tour of the monument and planned a light day due to this? Your thoughts? Is my 15 year old son going to zone out on this? -- too adult and too long for young teens??. He is into photography and so is my 74 year old mom (tripods and all, that both of them will be lugging around for this, and both will have both regular and video cameras just for the evening -- not tripod and just a camera for stills for the morning that day due to Capitol restrictions and no cameras or even bags for that matter at all on day 2 due to White House resrtrictions), so I was thinking even if my son wasn't interested in everything they had to say on the monument tour he'd be having a great time setting up shots with his grandmother. (He loved the tour we did of the Statue of Liberty monument and loved a two 1/2 hour tour we just did of a Titanic attraction in Orlando last week. Those are probably the most similar things to this that I can think of that we've done recently.)

On Day 2 We will check out the White House and two of the Smithsonian buildings -- Air and Space and the National Museum of Natural History. Here with touring all day, evening will be our time to relax at our hotel and relax in the pool/jacuzzi after dinner.

What do you think?

10. Re: Night time activities in DC with kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2010, 09:46