We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth the time to take a day and do NYC ???

1 post
Save Topic
Is it worth the time to take a day and do NYC ???

I'm figuring not, but my older kids want to....I'm thinking that should be another vacation and there is too much to see in DC for the 6 days we are there to spare one...Help!!!

Washington DC Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley...
1,381 Reviews
from US$ 13.50*
Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
336 Reviews
from US$ 150.00*
Special Offer
International Spy Museum
219 Reviews
from US$ 18.20*
US$ 24.26
12 replies to this topic
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth the time to take a day and do NYC ???

How old are these older kids? If they are whiners about being tired, I would say no because it will likely be a tiring day

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,258 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth the time to take a day and do NYC ???

Where do you live?

Somewhere like Australia or South America, where getting back to visit New York City would be a major ordeal of time and money?

Or somewhere like Delaware? :)

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,032 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth the time to take a day and do NYC ???

Yes, but I would say, if you can afford it, take an Amtrak regular train.(not Acela, being very very expensive). Go before 8 AM, arrive at 11 AM, return on a 9 or 10 PM train and get back to DC at 1 AM.

You can get the sense of NYC in 10 hours; you can't see things easily that require waiting on a long line (like the top of the Empire State Building) but you can see lots of neighborhoods, famous things around town, have a fun lunch and quick dinner.

If the train is too expensive, you can take Megabus, which take about 4.5 hours each way but could be as inexpensive as $1 per person, if you get tickets enough in advance. And it is always otherwise between $8 and $35.

Sure you can mostly get just an overview in 10 hours, but I'm guessing that's what you all want. Go for it, but know exactly how to get the train or bus back.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth the time to take a day and do NYC ???

I think a day trip is feasible if you have 6 days. You can easily day trip via Amtrak catching an early train (I take the 315 am but there is also some in the 5s) to NYC. The trip is 3.5 hours and you can sleep on the train getting there around 7. Have breakfast and start touring. Take a 8 or 9pm back arriving in DC around midnight. Again you can sleep on the train

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth the time to take a day and do NYC ???

A while back I actually had an internship with someone from California in DC and they were adamant that they had to visit NYC at least once while they were on the east coast.

Well it worked like a dream because then she moved there after graduation.

So yeah, it'll be a long day but doable. Keep it all in Manhattan, you'll have to be content with seeing the Statue of Liberty from a distance and you'll walk like you won't believe but I think it would be fun.

Southern NJ
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth the time to take a day and do NYC ???

Personally, I think 6 days in DC is a bit much and just 10 hours in NYC will not give you even little taste of the city. If it was the other way around, I might say yes but it’s only one person’s opinion.

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it worth the time to take a day and do NYC ???

6 days is barely enough to see all there is in DC, but if you're up for a 15+ hour day a NY blitz could be fun - in a torturous kind of way. But yeah, if you live in outer Mongolia and won't be back to the US in the next 5 years, it might be sort of worth it. Are the "older" kids old enough to send them on their own?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,471 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it worth the time to take a day and do NYC ???

6 days in DC is great. A day in NYC, including all the travel....too much travel for too little time in NYC.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,996 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it worth the time to take a day and do NYC ???

I think if someone really wants to do it, it's fine. You aren't going to be sightseeing every minute of the 24 hr day in DC, anyway, so if you spend 6 hours on a train in one day, just consider it part of your relaxing/down time, that's not so bad if you are up there by 10-11 am and return at 6 pm or later.

Personally, I wouldn't want to spend 6 vacation days just in DC. Ideally, I'd put NYC at the beginning or end and do an overnioght there at least, though. That still gives you 4 days in DC.

Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it worth the time to take a day and do NYC ???

You won't be able to go to empire State building but you can definitely see some good stuff in a day trip.

Stroll around Central Park

Go to times square

Go the met

Get timed tickets to the TOTR

Visit the 9/11 memorial.

All that stuff is doable in 10 hours or so.

Reply to: Is it worth the time to take a day and do NYC ???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted