We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DC to Fort McHenry

Watertown, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
165 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
DC to Fort McHenry

What is best way to get there? Train or drive

8 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DC to Fort McHenry

It depends. During the week definitely MArc Train. On weekends the schedule is much less flexible so unless you do a lot of prep planning it is easier to drive

St Helens England
Level Contributor
205 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DC to Fort McHenry

I did the Amtrak (Didn't use Marc as i was on a multiple trip ticket) and then a free bus from the centre to the Fort.

Was quite easy to get to and from to be honest. Just make sure you know the bus numbers as a couple went past without me realising. I was a bit silly !

Maryland
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: DC to Fort McHenry

I'd say drive especially as there are other spots around Baltimore that are worth a visit. Just try to avoid the rush hours if you can and pay attention to your GPS.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
8,589 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DC to Fort McHenry

I'd say drive; you can get there in under an hour. The train bus a couple of buses could take 90 minutes of more. If you were already in Balto, the bus is easy; but not the combination. It's very easy to get to. If you arrive all the way downtown you missed it.

If you go without a car, once you get downtown, the Free Banner (Blue) Circulator goes from Harborplace right there every 10 minutes or so. Don't confuse this with the Blue MTA bus downtown. They are unrelated.

charmcitycirculator.com/sites/default/files/…

Mentioned in this post
DC Circulator
DC Circulator
177 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Watertown, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
165 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DC to Fort McHenry

Thanks everyone! Looks like we will drive in on July 3rd

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DC to Fort McHenry

For a bit of something different, you could take the Marc Train Camden Line to Camden Station, then walk to the inner harbor and take the water taxi to Ft. McHenry.

If you take the Marc Penn Line to Penn Station, you need to get to the inner Harbor via taxi/uber or take the lite rail to the Conference Center stop and walk over to the inner harbor.

Mentioned in this post
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
McHenry
McHenry
Garrett County, MD
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
8,589 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DC to Fort McHenry

An addendum to #6 is: The "Camden" (to Camden St in Balto) MARC train runs only during weekday rush hours. The MARC "Penn" Line Commuter train runs less than once an hour 7 days a week. In the time you'd spend waiting for a train + the time you'd spend getting around in Balto to Ft. McHenry (I'm not even mentioning the actual one-hour trip), you could have driven there during that time. (55-minute drive). If you can't get a car, it's what you have to do; if you can get a car, you're saving yourself a lot of time and trouble.

Mentioned in this post
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
McHenry
McHenry
Garrett County, MD
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DC to Fort McHenry

I really think this is public transit doable given it’s just a short train ride to Baltimore and then if they don’t want to take the bus, an uber. This trip honestly takes the same amount of time as someone going from Greenbelt on the Green line to Tyson’s in the Silver Line and has the same number of transfers.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Greenbelt
Greenbelt
Maryland
Reply to: DC to Fort McHenry
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted