We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location for families

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
125 posts
6 reviews
Best location for families

We are coming to DC next week. I have a hotel in the Embassy Row area but have an opportunity to rent a townhouse in the Capital Hill area through Airbnb. Which would be better for a family? We will spend Sat at the Embassy open houses but the rest of the trip will likely be typical siteseeing/tours which has me leaning toward Capital Hill.

18 replies to this topic
Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,914 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Best location for families

Hotels give you full-time service, amenities and concierges or desk clerks, from whom you can ask advice and get assistance with bookings, especially if this is a first trip to DC. The Dupont Circle/Embassy Row area, where you will be first, has excellent transportation via the Metro, and many family restaurants.

You may also wish to consider several hotels near Capitol Hill or the Mall, depending on budget. If you wish, and if you provide your budget including 15% tax, exact dates and bedding arrangements, contributors can offer more specific suggestions.

Edited: 26 April 2018, 09:07
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
125 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Best location for families

Thanks for your reply! I know I will possibly get more services with a hotel (although that really depends on the hotel), but I am not really worried about that. There are pros and cons for both (more services at the hotel but with the townhouse we have a full kitchen which means we don’t have to eat every meal out). Both locations end up about $1,000 for 5 nights, including tax. I am mostly interested in is one area better or worse for families, more walkable, more things to do, etc. we will be doing all the usual touristy stuff.

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,789 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Best location for families

We need to know the actual cross streets of your rental to give any advice. You can email the host and ask for this. They can't give you the exact address until you book, but you can certainly know the nearest cross streets. Capitol Hill is a big area, and many Airbnbs stretch the definition. If it actually near the Capitol, or Eastern Market, it is a great location. If near Stadium Armory, not so much.

And for five days with a family, having a kitchen is a definite plus. As far as advice - most vacation rental hosts provide lots of tourist information and take pride in being accessible to answer questions etc.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
125 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Best location for families

Looks like this is around 12th and I? West of 12th, North of I.

Edited - it is West if 12th, not East.

Edited: 26 April 2018, 20:55
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
125 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Best location for families

Ok, in looking at the map, it looks like I probably should clarify more. The intersection for rental I am looking at is 12th SE and I SE. So N of I SE and West of 12th SE.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,238 posts
51 reviews
6. Re: Best location for families

Embassy Row is a nicer and more convenient location for a tourist.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
125 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Best location for families

Ok, thanks!

Washington DC
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
64 reviews
8. Re: Best location for families

You can look at a map and see that Embassy Row is superior to that other location near a notorious public housing project (Potomac Gardens). It's really on the border of what one might call Capitol Hill. I wouldn't even consider staying there. I had a friend who lived not from from Potomac metro and it was kind of scary over there at night. I wouldn't even go into the grocery store after dark as I didn't want to risk going from the store to my car in that area (it was a large parking lot).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potomac_Gardens

<<On Monday, May 1, 2017 gunman opened fire with assault weapons into Potomac Gardens at 6:45 PM. More than 30 shots were fired down the sidewalk, forcing kids and families to duck and run for cover. Due to the brazen nature of the shootings, the situation was covered by all local media outlets and the Washington Post..[36] Wayne Tucker, who has lived in Potomac Gardens for six years, said residents live in fear. "You always worry. Why wouldn't you worry? I'm hoping it's not my day." >>

Personally, I don't think the family issue has anything to do with it, I'd say the same thing about both areas for single visitors.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
125 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Best location for families

Thanks for the detailed information on the area. I appreciate it.

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,789 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Best location for families

That's not a location I would recommend. There are however, at least 500 other good vacation rental apartments in good locations in DC. Click on my name for previous posts about how to find one.

Reply to: Best location for families
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted