We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in DC

Niles, Michigan
5 posts
Parking in DC

I am traveling to DC in August as a Birthday surprise for my son. We are staying at the Holiday Inn central/White House location. The Peking here is $40 a night. I plan to arrive on a Saturday and park it till Thursday and take the public transit everywhere. Is there anywhere else cheaper to park for this amount of time without moving it unless I have too? $40 a day just seems insane if I’m not going in and out. HELP! Also, is this hotel a good location?

Best Seller
Washington DC Monuments by Moonlight...
1,560 Reviews
from US$ 43.00*
Washington DC Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley...
1,382 Reviews
from US$ 13.50*
Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
338 Reviews
from US$ 150.00*
9 replies to this topic
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,689 posts
48 reviews
1. Re: Parking in DC

You can park at Union Station for less. $24 per day is the current rate, I think.

If you post the location of your hotel it will be easier to comment on whether it’s good or not.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
64 reviews
2. Re: Parking in DC

It isn't "insane", parking is that expensive in any big city in the US. Try checking parking rates in NYC or San Francisco or San Diego.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,974 posts
121 reviews
3. Re: Parking in DC

That hotel, at 1501 Rhode Island Avenue NW, is in a perfectly fine location for sightseeing. It’s within walking distance of several Metro stations so you can get around town that way. And if you don’t mind walking, it’s just over a mile to the National Mall.

And I agree with IrishFan that your best bet for parking is at Union Station since they allow overnight parking (not all garages do). The rate of $24 per 24 hours is about as low as you will find and since it has a couple thousand spaces, you’ll be able to find a place to park no matter when you arrive.

Niles, Michigan
5 posts
4. Re: Parking in DC

1501 Rhode Island ave NW Washington DC. That’s the address. I will have to look into the union station. I didn’t know I could leave it there for days. I’ve never been to DC so I’m not sure what can and can’t be done. Thanks for that info!

Niles, Michigan
5 posts
5. Re: Parking in DC

You’re correct,for people who are used to paid parking it wouldn’t be insane. Living in a small town where parking is free makes it seem insane. I’m sure it’s more expensive other places.

Aldie, Virginia
Level Contributor
268 posts
88 reviews
6. Re: Parking in DC

There is an online service called Parking Panda that might help. Not everyone on these boards is a fan, but it's always worked very well for me.

The way that it works is that you go to the Parking Panda web site and enter the hotel address and your arrival and departure times, and PP will give you options -- including price and distance from the hotel. You select the one that best meets your needs, pre-pay and are guaranteed a spot.

I entered your hotel address and asked for quotes from noon Saturday May 5 to noon Thursday May 10, There is a garage at 1615 M St. NW, about .2 miles from your hotel, quoting $100 for the five days, which is better than Union Station and much closer. Another at 1125 15th St. NW is a little farther (but still closer than Union Station) for $93.

And to answer your last question, your hotel is in a great location. Many restaurants in the Dupont/Scott/Logan Circle area and not far from the Mall and Museums.

Niles, Michigan
5 posts
7. Re: Parking in DC

Awesome! Thank you so much for that information. I’ll definitely give parking panda and look. That price is still much better than the $40 a day. So I’m happy with that. Hopefully it works out when I go in August. So happy to hear the hotel is in a good location. We are going for my sons 13th birthday and doing all of the tours and tons of sight seeing so I want to be able to walk to some places and be close to public transportation for the places we can’t walk. Thanks again for that info!

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
185 posts
8. Re: Parking in DC

Heather, a CORRECTION: The garage that Virginia Elizabeth mentioned, is TWO BLOCKS from your hotel----- NOT TWO MILES.

Edited: 15 April 2018, 08:43
Aldie, Virginia
Level Contributor
268 posts
88 reviews
9. Re: Parking in DC

To be clear, I did write .2 miles — that is, two-tenths of a mile.

Reply to: Parking in DC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted