We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Garden Inn DC / Capitol -1st st NE - Noma Area Safe?

Neath, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton Garden Inn DC / Capitol -1st st NE - Noma Area Safe?

Hi There,

We have reserved rooms at this hotel for the beginning of June for one night. We will be travelling as 3 adults and two children (5&9).

I have read that there are homeless people around the hotel and that the area is not safe especially at night. This will be the children's first time in a big city so we really don't want them to be any more overwhelmed / intimidated than they already will be.

Any feedback on the area would be greatly appreciated.

7 replies to this topic
Neath, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Garden Inn DC / Capitol -1st st NE - Noma Area Safe?

Also, What is the traffic generally like coming into DC on a Saturday lunchtime? We are headed in from West Virginia to watch a rugby game at the RFK Stadium Saturday evening so trying to figure out what time we need to leave.

Mentioned in this post
West Virginia
West Virginia
United States
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Garden Inn DC / Capitol -1st st NE - Noma Area Safe?

That hotel is in an area that is relatively newly built up. I was only there once during the day but I did not see anything that would cause me concern. I doubt you will be wandering around willy nilly especially at night.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
60,522 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Garden Inn DC / Capitol -1st st NE - Noma Area Safe?

“I have read that there are homeless people around the hotel and that the area is not safe especially at night. ”

It’s fine. You’re there for one night, unlikely to come to any harm. There was a homeless group of people living in tents nearby . They caused no harm to anyone. Would have been a good lesson for your kids, to talk about how fortunate they are.

But anyway, the camp was broken up and moved away a month or so ago.

Neath, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Garden Inn DC / Capitol -1st st NE - Noma Area Safe?

Thank you all for your replies!

Does anybody have any ideas on traffic volume into DC on a Saturday lunchtime?

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Garden Inn DC / Capitol -1st st NE - Noma Area Safe?

Traffic into DC from WV on Sat. afternoon should be fine. And if homeless people were dangerous, wouldn't they simply bash us all and take our homes so they had someplace to live?

Neath, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Garden Inn DC / Capitol -1st st NE - Noma Area Safe?

Thank you for your reply!

I wasn't just referring to just homeless people specifically. I have read about shootings, muggings etc in that area also. About not walking to the Metro from the hotel during the evening time. We would like to visit the monuments during the night time.

We live in Wales in the countryside. My Stepson and grandchildren live in the countryside in WV. We don't often visit major cities in either country so we aren't used to city environments. Maybe I should have mentioned that on my original post so that I didn't come off as harsh and ignorant.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
60,522 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton Garden Inn DC / Capitol -1st st NE - Noma Area Safe?

“so that I didn't come off as harsh and ignorant.”

You didn’t. :)

It’s extremely unlikely you’ll be a crime victim during your stay.

You can walk the 3-4 minutes to the nearby Metro station.

On the way back you can grab a taxi. Among other places, they line up at the side of the Lincoln Memorial.

One way to gauge the general safety of an area is to look at reviews of the property and see if there is an overwhelming number of negative reviews from people who have actually stayed there.

Page after page of positive reviews with no mention of safety issues:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g28…

Edited: 12 April 2018, 21:18
Mentioned in this post
Lincoln Memorial
Lincoln Memorial
27,725 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Reply to: Hilton Garden Inn DC / Capitol -1st st NE - Noma Area Safe?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted