We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning day trip to DC: Friday crowds better than Saturday?

Cincinnati, Ohio
2 posts
Save Topic
Planning day trip to DC: Friday crowds better than Saturday?

My family will be vacationing 90 min from DC on Oct. 11th - Oct. 15th. We plan to visit DC on either Thursday, Friday or Saturday. I'm thinking Friday or Saturday. Which day is best based on crowds. I've also heard to be mindful of rush hour during the work week. I'm assuming we could lose quite a bit of time sitting in traffic on the tour bus?? We want to get the best bang for our buck in regards to time well spent to ensure we can see as much as we can in 1 day. We understand to get the full experience, we should look at another vacation to DC alone as it will require multiple days to get the best experience. Any suggestions? Looks like Thursday is 60% chance of rain...so not thrilled about that. Friday or Saturday is our only other options. Thank you for any suggestions that can be provided!

D.C. Ducks
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Duck Tours
6 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,505 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning day trip to DC: Friday crowds better than Saturday?

You don't see a huge difference in crowds on Fridays or Saturdays. You do, however, have an easier time with traffic (although still heavy) on Saturdays. Plan to park in a garage as street parking is not free on Saturdays; it's difficult to find; and it's rabidly enforced. The garages at Union Station and the Ronald Reagan Building both have lots of spaces and good parking rates. Use your feet, Metro, the Circulator bus and/or taxis to get around.

Edited: 09 October 2017, 22:08
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning day trip to DC: Friday crowds better than Saturday?

Thank you!!!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,479 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning day trip to DC: Friday crowds better than Saturday?

Not much a difference between the days. At least you won't know it.

Springfield
Level Contributor
344 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning day trip to DC: Friday crowds better than Saturday?

This is a quiet time of the year. All the kids are back in school and the crowds are gone.

Come on Friday and Saturday since you checked that there will be 60% rain on Thursday. The monuments and memorials are outside and best if you can walk up to them. The museums are indoors.

Enjoy.

Washington DC...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning day trip to DC: Friday crowds better than Saturday?

Not a big difference, but as a local Saturday would be better since people aren't working during the day.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,479 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning day trip to DC: Friday crowds better than Saturday?

I would go with the Lombardy as well for location.

Reply to: Planning day trip to DC: Friday crowds better than Saturday?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted