We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro

Hood River, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Metro

Hello, I'm driving to D.C. From Windsor PA. From what I have read parking is crazy. I was going to take the metro in, but where's the best place to park and ride in?

8 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,152 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro

Parking is not crazy in DC. There are plenty of parking garages. However, you do not want to attempt street parking as the meters are for short times and rabidly enforced. (Street parking is free on Sundays only.). There are lots of spaces and good daily rates at Union Station and the Ronald Reagan Building.

If you don't want to drive in DC, you could try to park in the Metro lot at New Carrollton and then take Metro into the city. But your success in finding a parking spot could depend on how early you get to the lot and whether you come on a weekend or weekday. For more info, see: https:/…

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro

The Greenbelt Metro station is right off the Beltway (I-495) and has easy-off/easy-on freeway access.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro

Parking isn't crazy except for people who somehow expect as a tourist to drive into the center of a huge city and either park for free or park really cheap, like $10 or less a day. People's expectations are crazy on this point. I would think any tourist who expects to drive into the center of a huge city with a lot of business and tourists (which is a bad idea to begin with) should expect to pay a reasonable amt for parking, and rates in DC aren't even that bad compared to many cities.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
10,268 posts
2,999 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro

The Greenbelt Metro station is right off the Beltway (I-495)

------

This is an excellent suggestion.

Do park the car and use METRO.

Hood River, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro

Thank you !

Hood River, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Metro

That's not bad at all. I expect to pay. Just wasn't sure how crazy it would be. I'm fairly comfortable driving in cities, but all are differently. I want to avoid being that dumb tourist anytime I can ! Thank you !

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
83 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Metro

I never take the metro. I always drive from Arlington into DC and sure, even street parking can suck at times (circling the block or parking blocks away) but it's worth my time not to be stuck on a metro. I usually always find parking and if necessarily, will use the garage. Sometimes I yell at myself like why did I drive at 5pm on a Thursday, but it's always nice being able to quickly leave when I need to. Where in DC do you want to go?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Metro

The parking websites will tell you the rates.

We used a underground lot very close to the Air and Space amuseum, I think it was under a Holiday Inn, which gave us a place to use the bathroom and fill up water bottles. We were also close enought to go back to the car to pick up our lunch. We paid about $24 but that was a couple of years ago.

As we had 3 people in the car is was well worth the cost.

Reply to: Metro
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted