We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Trip - With Baby - Where to Stay? - Length of Stay?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
88 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
1st Trip - With Baby - Where to Stay? - Length of Stay?

Hi All,

My husband, 14 month old baby and I are travelling to Washington DC in December for the first time. We are Australians and are hoping to see the major sights and museums.....possibly at a more leisurely pace than our previous holidays as it will be our first BIG overseas trip with our baby. I have a number of things I am undecided on (despite lots of research):

1) In which area/hotel do you recommend we stay in? Taking into account that we are there to sightsee, don't want to walk overly far due to it being winter and as we'll have our baby with us. We are also hoping to stay in suite style accommodation (with separate bedroom/living areas). Our budget is a max of $300 per night.

2) If we don't stay in a hotel with self laundry facilities, are public laundromats easy to find?

3) We are currently undecided between a 3 night stay and a 4 night stay? What would you suggest for first timers? We are interested in seeing the major sights but as we are not American ourselves, we do not have a huge interest in American history.

4) Any extra tips for travelling with a baby in Washington DC?

I thought I had decided on a hotel (Kimpton Donovan), but after having another look, I'm not sure if its best for us due to lack of laundry facilities and location. Another thing to add is that we will be arriving by train from New York City - I'm not sure if this changes accommodation recommendations.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

8 replies to this topic
Springfield
Level Contributor
343 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Trip - With Baby - Where to Stay? - Length of Stay?

Welcome.

A 14 month old baby is still not sleeping through the night. Therefore, you will need a little extra room where one adult can at least sleep and function the following day. The other adult can tend to the baby at midnight, 2 a.m., 3:30 a.m. and 5 a.m.!!

I recommend suites where there is the master bedroom, bathroom, and a separate living room with a pull-out sofa, kitchen, and television set. Request a crib. All the U. S. hotels provide cribs and are very accommodating. They serve this with a smile.

We have great suites here in Washington, D,C. which may fit your budget. They are: Homewood Suites and Residence Inns. Staybridge is also very good but it is out in the suburbs. These suites are lovely and well-kept.

They provide daily complimentary hot breakfasts and evening receptions including wine and beer in the evenings on some days. You may pay more for the hotel but you are saving on your food. After you eat a huge breakfast, lunch will not be needed. You can also do light meals in your kitchen in the suite during the evenings when manager receptions are not provided.

Your baby will need diapers. Carry some and buy some when you are here. Our supermarkets, Walmart, and Target sell them. The best prices for disposable Pampers diapers are at Walmart and Target.

Special food for the baby will be needed too. Carry them from home and buy more when you are here. Again, our supermarkets, Walmart, and Target sell them.

Bring an umbrella stroller and a carrier where you can either place the baby at the back or front of your body. The airplane generally allows these carry-ons free of charge. There is a lot of walking in Washington, D.C. You will be tired fom carrying the baby.

If you want a slower pace, stay for 4 nights. But, if you have more places to travel still, 3 nights are sufficient since there is minimal interest in U. S history. Can you tell us where you are going after Washington, D.C.?

This will be fun and a new experience. Enjoy. 👶🍼🍼

Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Trip - With Baby - Where to Stay? - Length of Stay?

No, you will not be able to find public laundromats easily in a dense business area, there just won't be any and there are hardly any more in the more residential areas, either, at least in DC. I used to live on Capitol Hill near the Supreme Ct and had to drive about 7 blocks to find one and that was in a very bad area. There are some laundries, of course, but not do-it-yourself but even those won't be common downtown. Most people have facilities in their own apts or own apt building, at least.

There is one laundromat at Logan Circle, one near COlumbia Hts or just west of it, and one a bit east of Kalorama. I don't know what suite hotels have, but the one near Kalorama would probably be the best idea to find a good nearby hotel and that's a nice area, anyway.

this is the laundromat

https:/…coin-ontario-laundromat-washington-2

Even that isn't near hotels if you mean within a block or two, and no suite hotels I know of over that way.

So you should find a suite hotel, they usually have coin laundromats, I believe. I know Embassy Suites does. You can get what you want at Embassy Suites Georgetown for less than $300 a night, as long as it's not some real popular date in December. That's not a bad location, although ideally I'd like to be closer to a metro stop.

There are other suite hotels, check out the River Inn

http://www.theriverinn.com/suites

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Trip - With Baby - Where to Stay? - Length of Stay?

Airbnb might be an option. That was nice to have when we took the baby to the UK/Ireland.

Most places are pretty baby-friendly especially if you dine earlier.

Metro is nice because all the stations have elevators which are good for stroller access (though any given station may have out of service elevators). On a bus you might be asked to fold the stroller (but some bus drivers will let you on unfolded.

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Trip - With Baby - Where to Stay? - Length of Stay?

If you're not limiting yourselves to hotels, consider a vacation rental apartment. Even a one-bedroom apt. will give you a separate sleeping room for the baby, a kitchen, and laundry. If interested, let me know and I will post more about how to find one (it isn't easy!)

You want to be near - like 1-2 blocks - from a close in Metro station on a direct line, (so Red Line is not the best.) Even when a hotel is "near" the mall - (where most of the sites & museums are) remember the mall is 2 miles long. You want to have a place where one parent can easily escape with the baby and let the other explore. A rental apt. also puts you in a real neighborhood, like Columbia Heights, Eastern Market, Dupont Circle, where you can easily meet locals in the many neighborhood restaurants and bars.

I'd recommend at least 4 nights. You don't need much American History to enjoy it here. The museums and art galleries are great, the zoo will be fun for a toddler and there are many neighborhood parks, as well as lots of nature in Rock Creek National Park.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,541 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Trip - With Baby - Where to Stay? - Length of Stay?

The AKA Whitehouse will suit....laundry facilities in the room, great location, close to two trainlines and lots of buses, close to sights, nearby to a CVS for amenities and Metro card, Paneer Bread and great Greek bakery next door, WhoLe Foods a 10 minute walk away.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
88 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Trip - With Baby - Where to Stay? - Length of Stay?

Thank you so much for all of your advice!!! AKA White House it is :) For some reason, I didn't even have it on my shortlist (which is surprising as we'd been looking at staying at an AKA in NYC). It looks to be in a great location and is definitely in our budget.

Thanks also for all the other tips that you've given me. We'll have 4 nights in Washington and take it at a slow pace. We're headed to CT immediately after (train back to NYC, pick up car and drive to CT) to spend Christmas with my brother's in-laws.

Thanks again!

7. Re: 1st Trip - With Baby - Where to Stay? - Length of Stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 September 2017, 21:05

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,541 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Trip - With Baby - Where to Stay? - Length of Stay?

Fantastic news, so glad to be of help.

We stayed in AKA Central Park in NYC which was great for a lot of the times we stayed, but the area (58th) has become a construction zone and is noisy. The area is very busy (probably worse now with the Trump Tower security issues).

And then on our last visit we had some problems at the hotel (one a yapping 'therapy' dog left alone in another, nearby room and the other a really dumb parcel delivery process and a twit behind the counter who wouldn't even look in the back room to see if our parcel was there). So now we stay at the Beacon Hotel which is fantastic.....includes a great laundry!!! lovely lovely area, better kitchen set up (sometimes at the AKA the kitchen set up was weird ...no idea why given it's set up for long term stays)....

Anyways, just something (somewhere!) to consider for your NYC part of the trip.

Reply to: 1st Trip - With Baby - Where to Stay? - Length of Stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted