We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Embassy Suited

Munger, Michigan
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which Embassy Suited

Looking to travel Dec 7-10 and tour museums, Capitol, see the White house, maybe Arlington and memorials. What Embassy Suites do you think would be best. Chevy Chase, Pentagon area, Georgetown, or downtown convention center? I like the idea of Chevy Chase having metro right there but not sure how long we will be on metro. Also looking for area we can grab a meal if needed when we get back to hotel at night. Thanks

11 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,368 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Embassy Suited

The Embassy Suites Convention Center is by far the most convenient location. Not far from the Metro Center station, and lots of choices for meals. And you can really walk to some of the usual sights fairly easily.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Embassy Suited

following....I've narrowed mine down to Georgetown or Chevy Chase.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,126 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Embassy Suited

"following....I've narrowed mine down to Georgetown or Chevy Chase."

Neither of those are the best choice if the purpose of the trip is seeing the sights in DC.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
467 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Embassy Suited

I used to work in the building that has the Embassy Suites Chevy Chase and worked 0.3 mile from the Embassy Suites Georgetown (which isn’t in Georgetown). Of those two, I would probably choose Embassy Suites Georgetown because it is close to Dupont Circle which I really like. The block it is on is kind of boring though.

It is a 0.4 walk to the Dupont Circle Metrorail Station and 0.5 mile walk to the Foggy Bottom-GWU Metrorail Station according to googlemaps.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Embassy Suited

Embassy Suites Georgetown isn't in Georgetown and isn't really that close to Dupont Circle, either, in my opinion. Depends what you mean by close, I don't consider a half mile to be close.

the one at CC is in a mall and near stores, mainly. It only takes 20 minutes by metro to get to Metro Center from there. It is kind of a dull area, though, just a place to stay. It's not like being in the middle of DC, that's all. Really depends what you want. Since the CC one is in a mall (or right next to it), it would be easy to grab a mal there at night, there are some chain restaurants like CHeesecake Factory, Maggiano's, etc. There is a Clydes across the street which is a restaurant I like, it's good.

In fact, if you want to grab a bite to eat near your hotel at night, it's probably a lot easier to do it at the one at CC than the Georgetown one, as there aren't hardly any restaurants right around that hotel, I don't know of any unless you go several blocks away.

Munger, Michigan
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Embassy Suited

Is it worth 250 more for the stay. The one in Pentagon City is way less and has shuttle to metro. Would this be a good place.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,525 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Embassy Suited

Why aren't you considering the one in downtown DC given what you want to see on your visit?

Munger, Michigan
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Embassy Suited

The cost is way higher

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,525 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Embassy Suited

Oh, fair enough. But I'd balance that over the amount of time on the train. And then, there's extra cost on Metro; I don't know how many of you there are, but that might add up.

And you'd be spending valuable time from any of the three cheaper options in your very very short visit. Also, do you really want to just go back to your hotel in the evening and have a meal and not do anything else?

There's a lot to do at night. I'd suggest in such a short stay that you visit the Memorials and looking at the White House at night to give yourself more time during the day for visiting those things that are only accessible by day (eg Museums, Capitol, Library of Congress).

I've had a look on Google Maps DIRECTIONS feature to plot the times on the trains from your 3 options.

From CC; sometimes its the ORANGE line and sometimes it's the RED line. A quick walk to the station to catch the train and the trips vary from 14 minutes to one that's 50! Eeek...

From Pentagon too...a 10 minute walk and then the shorter train ride - about 10 minutes to either Federal Triangle or National Archives - both near the edge of the Mall.

Georgetown's location is a 10 minute walk to Foggy Bottom station and then a 5-10 minute train ride to Federal Triangle.

And you need to walk from the Metro station to the Mall once you're in the area. That might be a long walk depending on what you are visiting; or another bus . (But you'd be doing that if you stay downtown too...so I haven't included that in my comparisons of travel time).

Finally, as you're there over the weekend, your trips might be longer. But locals can chime in on that!

Here's another thought. What price do you want to pay per night? Would you consider somewhere not an Embassy Suite? If so, let us know the number of people travelling and the bedding requirements and your dates ...ie are you sleeping there all 4 nights of 7-10 Dec or arriving on the 7th, leaving on the 10th and only need two nights? Let us know.

(I just looked up the availability and rates of the place we stayed at - AKA White House - and for the 4 nights - 7-10th December it's $175 per night (non cancellable rate). It's more for cancellable ($219) and there are other discount rates available (eg Government or AAA). The beautiful and spacious one bedroom suite is available. It's a great location that's walkable to many of the sites you want to visit (White House and the Memorials). It's nearby to two train stations and lots of buses. There were more than enough places to eat nearby at night life (we loved The Bombay Club nearby - and they do takeout!; and the bar at Hays Adam) and a gorgeous Greek bakery and a Paneer Bread right next door.

Good luck with where ever you decide to stay.....

Edited: 24 September 2017, 07:38
Munger, Michigan
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Embassy Suited

What is your thoughts on the Embassy near Pentagon vs the Embassy Suites in Dc Convention Center. I'm deciding if the Convention Center one would be worth 150 more for a 3 night stay.

Reply to: Which Embassy Suited
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted