We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Melrose or Hotel Lombardy?

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
The Melrose or Hotel Lombardy?

Trying to figure out which hotel to book and looking to see if anyone has stayed at either and if they could offer some input?

Thanks!

Best Seller
Washington DC Monuments by Moonlight...
1,560 Reviews
from US$ 43.00*
Washington DC Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley...
1,382 Reviews
from US$ 13.50*
Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
337 Reviews
from US$ 150.00*
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
1 review
1. Re: The Melrose or Hotel Lombardy?

1200+ reviews

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g28…

2000+ reviews

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g28…

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: The Melrose or Hotel Lombardy?

Thanks! I read the reviews before I posted. Definitively couldn't make a decision between the two of us.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,901 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: The Melrose or Hotel Lombardy?

The Melrose is a regular hotel with a newish feel on a broad stretch of Pennsylvania Avenue, NW adjacent to Georgetown. The Lombardy, not far away, is older but well-maintained, more of a European, B&B style. Both are near the Metro.

Edited: 07 September 2017, 05:32
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,234 posts
51 reviews
4. Re: The Melrose or Hotel Lombardy?

In terms of location, I would pick the Lombardy.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
118 posts
89 reviews
5. Re: The Melrose or Hotel Lombardy?

I stayed in the Lombardy last month for four days. The room was very classy and the bed was very very comfortable. Quite a luxurious feel. The staff at breakfast were so courteous and made you feel very special. I liked the area too. I walked to DuPont Circle to see if I was missing anything in terms of area as had given some thought to staying there. To me in daytime at least it looked a bit run down. Delighted I chose the Lombardy.

Springfield
Level Contributor
346 posts
146 reviews
6. Re: The Melrose or Hotel Lombardy?

The Lombardy is in the Foggy Bottom area. It is in the vicinity of The George Washington University. Many students, professors, and staff from GW will be walking around.

The George Washington University Hospital is in close proximity. When John Hinckley, Jr. tried to assasinate President Reagan in 1981 at the Washington Hilton Hotel, the latter was hospitalized at this hospital. Apparently before surgery, with his sense of humor Reagan asked whether the doctors were Republicans!

Georgetown is within walking distance. It is a fun place to browse, eat, and walk around. Georgetown University is here. The C & O canal is a lovely place to walk if you have time.

The subways are also in the vicinity. They will take you to the Smithsonian museums, memorials, and monuments.

You can also walk if you are used to walking.

Enjoy.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,234 posts
51 reviews
7. Re: The Melrose or Hotel Lombardy?

The above description could work for either hotel.

The current GW Hospital is not where President Reagan was operated on. That building was across the street and has been demolished.

8. Re: The Melrose or Hotel Lombardy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2018, 09:45