We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington DC 3 days

uk
Level Contributor
27 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Washington DC 3 days

Hi so we have 3 days in DC , booked 1 walking tour , and 1 walking tour of Arlington. Wanted to tour the white house but , no chance even though we enquired last year.

I want to visit 1 museum , probably one of the Smithsonians and go round both political houses , any other suggestions.

As we are brits we just want to soak up the atmosphere of the poitical system ( West Wing and House of Cards fans )

Will also visit the Ford theatre

Don't want to bore the wife to much lol.

Got tickets to the lincoln night tour

We rare there Sept 17 -20

Mentioned in this post
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
west wing cafe
west wing cafe
386 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Ford's Theatre
Ford's Theatre
3,740 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
4 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,308 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington DC 3 days

With your interests, you will want to take a tour of the U.S. Capitol. (The tours can be booked in advance or you can try for walk-up tickets. In late September, you have a good chance of just being able to walk up for tickets, but I'd book in advance so that you can plan your itinerary--and the tickets are free.) Neither the House of Representatives nor the Senate are included on the tour, but you can request a pass at the Capitol Visitor's Center in order to go to those chambers. Here are links to the relevant websites:

Capitol Tour (select "Book a Tour Yourself Online"): https:/…book-tour-capitol

House/Senate Passes: https:/…watching-congress-session

Ford's Theatre also offers pre-booked tickets or tickets on a walk-up basis. The tour options at Ford's Theatre can vary by day and time. If you wait to get tickets on a walk-up basis, they may not have tickets that include entry to the theatre itself. Therefore, I would go online and book a day and time that includes all of the options: Museum + Theatre Walk Through + Petersen House + Aftermath Exhibits. (Unfortunately, for your dates, there is no Ranger Talk in the Theatre).

To book tickets, see "Tips for Your Visit" at: https://www.fords.org/visit/historic-site/

Mentioned in this post
U.S. Capitol
U.S. Capitol
5,518 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Ford's Theatre
Ford's Theatre
3,740 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
35,658 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington DC 3 days

Air and Space Museum is the one I went to.

uk
Level Contributor
27 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington DC 3 days

I have a conflict on the monday we are doing a walking tour that starts at 10am and will last 3.5 hrs and on the tuesday a walking tour of arlington lasting 3 hrs do I cut one of the tours short as I want to visit the Ford Theatre and the house of repsrentatives and the smithsonian . Should I cut the monday tour short or do I cancel it and do the museum and house of rep and the senate.

Mentioned in this post
Ford's Theatre
Ford's Theatre
3,740 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,308 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington DC 3 days

I think it's possible to do it all.

I looked at the calendars for the tours of the U.S. Capitol and Ford's Theatre for Sept. 18th and 19th. You could do the 3.5 hour walking tour on Sept. 18th (which will end around 1:30pm), grab a bite to eat and then be at Ford's Theatre for the 3:00, 3:30 or 4:00 tours. (Don't choose the 4:30 pm tour as it does not include the museum.) If you choose the 4:00 pm tour, you might even be able to pop into one of the (free) Smithsonian museums to see a particular exhibit. For example, you could see the Star-Spangled Banner in the American History Museum or walk through the Milestones of Flight Hall in the Air and Space Museum. And after the Ford's Theatre tour, you could go to the nearby National Portrait Gallery which is open until 7:00 pm. Unfortunately the portraits of presidents will not be on display (moving to their newly refurbished gallery on the days of your visit), but there are a lot of other great historical and contemporary portraits.

Then on Sept. 19th, you can do the walking tour at Arlington National Cemetery (ending at 1:00 pm?) and make it to the Capitol for either the 2:20 pm or 2:40 pm tours. Those are the latest times still available according to the website as of this writing.

If all that seems too rushed for you, then you will have to make a choice to skip or cut short a tour. Note: there are narrated HO/HO bus tours at Arlington National Cemetery that run from 8:30 am - 6:00 pm on the dates of your visit (fee charged for the tour). In 2 hours, you would have plenty of time for the 45-minute loop and getting off to see the Kennedy gravesites, the Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (not to be missed) and more. Or you can download the free Arlington National Cemetery app and do a self-guided walking tour.

Mentioned in this post
U.S. Capitol
U.S. Capitol
5,518 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Ford's Theatre
Ford's Theatre
3,740 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
National Portrait Gallery
National Portrait Gallery
2,892 Reviews