We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ticket lines for Tours of Bureau of Engraving and Printing

Janesville,IA
Level Contributor
259 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Ticket lines for Tours of Bureau of Engraving and Printing

Asked the intern of my Congressmen I set up my tour of the Capitol with and said I have to line up on Raoul Wallenberg Place (formerly 15th Street) to get these tix. But he stated that lines sometimes start at 5:30 A.M. They open up at 8:00 A.M. and are usually out of tix by 8:30 A.M. Is this an exaggeration. Really not feeling like waiting 2 1/2 hours in line on something not high on my to do list. Not to mention 5:30 A.M. is early when you're on vacation. Be in DC June 7 through 12th. 1 hour is probably about long as I want to wait.

Edited: 04 April 2017, 20:12
17 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,176 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ticket lines for Tours of Bureau of Engraving and Printing

Come back in the fall when they don't require tickets. From what I have read on this forum, that timeline may well be accurate. There are plenty of other things to see here, so unless you have an extreme interest, just skip it. FYI, you can visit their gift shop without taking the tour. Enter near the ticket booth, not the tour entrance on 14th Street SW.

Edited: 04 April 2017, 20:20
Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
4,233 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ticket lines for Tours of Bureau of Engraving and Printing

No worries. We went last week, busiest Spring Break time, walked up at 1:30 and were offered 2:00pm from the stack remaining...then a stack for every 15 minutes after until closing!!! What unnecessary worrying on my part. Advance online was sold out for months.

So we actually took 3pm tix, walked next door to Holocaust Museum, did the "no-tix" exhibits which were fantastic, didn't even ask about walkup tix availability for the longer tour, then went back to BEP for the kind of ho hum tour. The impressive cutting & packaging machine was being replaced so only saw one printing press working with a few guys sitting around possibly playing poker! Ha!

Walk up, ask, go, if you miss it no big deal.

Edited: 04 April 2017, 20:48
Missouri
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ticket lines for Tours of Bureau of Engraving and Printing

Sweet, thank you Seabass, I am wondering the same thing about BEP.

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
4,233 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ticket lines for Tours of Bureau of Engraving and Printing

And from there, walked over to the Tidal Pool to be surrounded by cherry blossoms in full bloom, a band started playing at 4pm, walked to Washington Monument, onto and around the White House, joined in a protest of people who didn't know what they were protesting, then back to Washington, turned right to WWII, Lincoln, then Viet Nam Memorials. Then 6pm to street and got an uber back to our hotel in Crystal City. Wow, all that starting at 1pm, busiest week of the year.

All that worrying for nothing.

Sandusky,
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ticket lines for Tours of Bureau of Engraving and Printing

Your Senators office can get times tickets for you. Mine did, no waiting in line to get them or anything. Just a thought.

Janesville,IA
Level Contributor
259 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ticket lines for Tours of Bureau of Engraving and Printing

I was trying to get the time ticket through represenative and got the reply I gave in my post. Maybe I'll try my Senator.

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
4,233 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ticket lines for Tours of Bureau of Engraving and Printing

I don't think reps will hoof it over to BEP to get you timed tix anymore. They used to get Supreme Court tix for Oral Arguments if court was in session. But stopped doing that, too. Unless you a big donor. Which I am not since all my IL reps sit on the wrong side of the aisle. Ha!

But as I stated above, it was ridiculously easy, all the worry for nothing. Just walk up and ask when next avail or maybe later in the day. They got 'em.

Williamston...
Level Contributor
948 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ticket lines for Tours of Bureau of Engraving and Printing

It's been a few years but I went about 7:15am one morning and there was a big line but I still got tickets. I think 5:30am is probably an exaggeration. I mean, it's possible some people do get there that early, but it's not really necessary.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
494 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ticket lines for Tours of Bureau of Engraving and Printing

We just visited this past Friday. Showed up around 12 and got tickets for the 3pm tour. Good luck!

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
4,233 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ticket lines for Tours of Bureau of Engraving and Printing

Just curious...when you showed up around 12, were there earlier tickets available or did you choose 3pm?

Looking to gauge how this place operates. They put fear in tourists by saying all online tix are gone, but forget to mention that a significant amount are available for walk up guests in 15 minute increments. We chose later so that we could spend 90 minutes in the Holocaust Museum next door and wander through the various "non-ticket" exhibits, which were fabulous by the way. These two attractions can be paired easily with a walk around the tidal basin to Jefferson/FDR/MLKl or to Washington Monument and WW2-Vietnam-Lincoln Memorials, even loop around the White House.

Reply to: Ticket lines for Tours of Bureau of Engraving and Printing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted