We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about the metro ticket

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
299 reviews
Save Topic
Question about the metro ticket

Greetings. I will be arriving in DC by auto late on a weekday, and the next morning I will need to be at the White House for a tour at 0830. I will be taking the metro to the White House. Obviously it will be very busy with commuters (from Friendship Station to Metro Center). How do I buy tickets? Easier to buy them the night before when I arrive? The morning of? Is it a kiosk or a person? Long lines? Credit card okay?

5 replies to this topic
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,695 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about the metro ticket

"How do I buy tickets? "

From the kiosk in the station.

"Easier to buy them the night before when I arrive? "

If that's convenient, sure. I wouldn't make a special trip, but if you're staying near the Metro, maybe.

"The morning of?"

That would be fine, too.

" Is it a kiosk or a person?

Kiosk.

" Long lines? "

Not usually. Most regular riders have their SmartCard already.

"Credit card okay?"

Yes.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about the metro ticket

Thank you! I'll be buying 4 one-day passes at $14.75 each (since I have to go back to the apartment after the tour and then return that afternoon for the Capitol tour.) Costly, but I figure it would be easier than paying for parking twice.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,159 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about the metro ticket

You could park once and just lock your belongings in the trunk of the car. That would be a cheaper and easier option.

Edited: 10 October 2017, 06:27
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about the metro ticket

I love day passes as it allows you to use it as much as you want and if you deceide to go so ewhere else it is already paid.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,425 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about the metro ticket

Unless you are staying far out near the end of a Metro line, the 1-day pass is quite expensive compared to just using a regular SmarTrip card. Very few tourists ever spend that much in a day riding Metro. And the pass is only for the trains, not the buses or the Circulator, unlike a regular SmarTrip card.

Reply to: Question about the metro ticket
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted