We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7-10 itinerary for day hiking in Washington state mid-August

Clarkston, MI
Level Contributor
41 posts
7-10 itinerary for day hiking in Washington state mid-August

My husband and I would like to plan a 7-10 day hiking trip in Washington state in August. We have no idea which/how many of the National parks are doable in that time, which are best suited for hiking due to weather during that time, etc. We would fly into Seattle and rent a car for this trip. Any ideas to get us started would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

7 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
985 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: 7-10 itinerary for day hiking in Washington state mid-August

They are all suitable for hiking in August. There are hikes all over the state that would interest/challenge you. What sorts of hike are you wanting to include? What should be excluded? (multi-day? certain elevation gain? distance? difficulty?)

Just among the subalpine and alpine hikes, there are so many to choose from, whether in the Mt. Baker area, Northern Cascades N.P., Olympic N.P., Mt. Rainier N.P., the Stuart Range, Mt. St. Helens N.M. or just somewhere along the Cascade range - you can find hundreds of worthwhile day trips, and just as many great overnighters.

The snow will be as melted as it's going to get that month, so it's the ideal month to be checking out the alpine and subalpine trails (in any or all of these areas).

Then there are the rain forests and beaches of ONP, the Gorge, the Palouse, the Channeled Scablands ...

We could use a little help in giving you a decently concise list of trails ...

Edited: 13 June 2018, 01:10
Renton, WA
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
2. Re: 7-10 itinerary for day hiking in Washington state mid-August

www.wta.org

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,722 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: 7-10 itinerary for day hiking in Washington state mid-August

You need to do some work here. Get some guides to hiking in Washington, look at the national park websites, look at www.wta.org, and learn about trails, weather, and distance. Then write back for boots on the ground local knowledge and advice. Also, tell us more about yourselves and your hiking preferences.

I will say this now. Don't underestimate the size of this region or the length of time it takes to get around. Two lane roads, drawbridges subject to unannounced closure, and ferries can map what seems to be a short distance on a map a long, drawn out slog. August is the busiest month of the year for the outdoors, and many places, such as Mt. Rainier and parts of Olympic National Park will be crowded.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,826 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: 7-10 itinerary for day hiking in Washington state mid-August

I think lodging might be the challenge at this point--i'd start doing the legwork of seeing what is actually available, then planning the trip around that.

This would be a great resource:

https:/…1594859787

You'll need to double check trail and road conditions if you choose hikes that way, but there's nothing like a hiking book with gorgeous photos to set you on your way.

Clarkston, MI
Level Contributor
41 posts
5. Re: 7-10 itinerary for day hiking in Washington state mid-August

We are primarily interested in day hikes, not backpacking over night. We like to hike anywhere from 5-10 hours a day and can do significant elevation gains, but do not want to scramble up sheer rock.

So I guess we like moderate to somewhat difficult hikes, with great mountain views. To give examples of hikes we have done, that we loved, the Highline at Glacier, Observation Point at Zion, Wilcox Pass in Banf. Also looking for a sense of what can be reasonably traveled in terms of number of parks and that time frame as we do not want to spend too much time driving.

Thank you!

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,722 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: 7-10 itinerary for day hiking in Washington state mid-August

You could probably do the alpine day hikes in Olympic National Park and the North Cascades, especially if you have 10 days. As Christy1 says, however, lodging at this date could be a problem.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,826 posts
49 reviews
7. Re: 7-10 itinerary for day hiking in Washington state mid-August

All 3 parks have great day hikes of the kind you are looking for, and you can visit all 3 in 10 days (or 2 in 7 days), but you are putting the cart ahead of the horse. You need to figure out what parks you are interested in, and if you can get lodging. You mentioned limiting driving; you can use Google maps to get distances and drive times. There is abundant info out there, online and in books, on the parks. Do this basic stuff first and we can help when you get stuck picking specific hikes or whatnot. You can use that book I linked to see if you'd like to venture out of parks and hike one of our great wilderness areas as well.

Reply to: 7-10 itinerary for day hiking in Washington state mid-August
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted