We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coast Starlight cancellation June 18th

London, United...
5 posts
Coast Starlight cancellation June 18th

Just received an email from Amtrak informing us that the train from Seattle to San Francisco on Monday 18th has been cancelled due to a service disruption! I am flying in to Seattle on Sunday 17th from the UK and then was hoping to take the train to San Fran the following day, which we have hotels and tours booked, plus a flight back to Seattle before heading to Vancouver Island. Is the only option getting a flight down to San Fran and would Amtrak reimburse and extra costs to us due to the cancellation

Thanks in advance

Dean

7 replies to this topic
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,993 posts
200 reviews
1. Re: Coast Starlight cancellation June 18th

Usually, such a disruption is due to a landslide somewhere between Seattle and Portland and Amtrak provides bus connections around the blockage. But, I checked Portland to SF and it appears the problem is south of Portland because it says the train is cancelled from there as well.

I don't know what Amtrak's policy is on such disruptions. Amtrak doesn't own the tracks and is often at the mercy of the freight lines that do. It might be one of those things the ticket contract says they're not responsible for. You'll have to contact Amtrak to find out. In the meantime, I would definitely plan on flying from Seattle to SF.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
2. Re: Coast Starlight cancellation June 18th

I would book seats on a plane and take up the reimbursement matter with Amtrak. It will depend on the fare rules you agreed to when making the booking. I'd start by looking here - https:/…refund-and-cancellation-policy . I believe that you'll be able to get a full refund, but I doubt if they'll add anything because of the additional cost of flying. (The plane fare for the 18th is around $210; what was your train fare?)

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
1 review
3. Re: Coast Starlight cancellation June 18th

You’ll get a refund because Amtrak actually has a pretty generous refund policy. Hopefully it’s an actual refund and not credit (that’s what I’ve gotten in the past).

But no, no coverage for the flight. At best the way they would cover it would be to transport you via bus instead. Yuck. I’m a little surprised they didn’t do that anyway— that’s happened to me before, and it’s standard operating procedure when they can’t use the track. Maybe it’s just when they don’t have prior notice.

Anyway, your options are essentially car rental, bus, or flight. And flight is better than train anyway, and definitely better than the other options.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,933 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: Coast Starlight cancellation June 18th

When checking fares, look at Oakland too. It's near SF and you can take the train to the city. Also check southwest.com; they don't allow booking on third part websites, only theirs.

London, United...
5 posts
5. Re: Coast Starlight cancellation June 18th

Thanks guys, after speaking to Amtrak they have given me a full refund of $471, and I have managed to get two flights to San Fran on the 19th for £311 less luggage! Still got to sort another hotel for the 18th, so will be well out of pocket as we had a sleeper on the train, but on the plus side I get another 24 hours in Seattle!!

Would just like to thank u all for your replies, I get so much information from you all who give up time to help us hopeless travellers, so again, thank you to the above and all other posters!

Regards

Dean

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
1 review
6. Re: Coast Starlight cancellation June 18th

Glad to know it turned out all right! I wondered in you were concerned about a hotel. But look at another bright side- you’ll sleep better in a real bed!

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
7. Re: Coast Starlight cancellation June 18th

I also just received the notification that my trip from San Jose to Portland was canceled on June 20. I got the refund by calling the Amtrak number. I just booked a flight from San Jose to Portland today. There are still plenty of seats left on Alaska airline and the price is still pretty reasonable. I am sure it is not hard to find an airline ticket from Seattle to San Francisco. If you don’t want to fly, you can certainly drive. You can rent a car at Seattle airport and return the car in San Francisco. It is quite a drive though. I would suggest you stay over night in a hotel at the Oregon/California border. If you drive down Highway 101 from Oregon to California, the coastal sceneary is beautiful but it will take longer. If you drive down on Highway 5, you can go visit Crator Lake or Mt. Shasta. Hope this helps!

Reply to: Coast Starlight cancellation June 18th
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted