We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle to Anacortes

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
471 posts
73 reviews
Seattle to Anacortes

We are landing at 11:50am at SeaTac. Then we have the 8p ferry out of Anacortes that night. We plan to stop and eat in La Conner and then want to stop at Deception Pass. Do you have any easy hikes around Deception Pass that will offer great views but would be extremely easy? We are traveling with our two year old and I will wear her if needed during the hike but I like hikes where she can be free and explore as well. She is well behaved and sticks close to us when we hike. Also, after Deception Pass, we were thinking of parking the car in line at the ferry and then exploring Washington park. It seems like this is possible but I just do not understand the logistics. Do you just park in line and can leave your car? And Washington Park appears relatively close, is it easy to do this? Also, any other suggestions to spend our few hours before the ferry?

Thanks everyone!

Seattle
Level Contributor
6,604 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Seattle to Anacortes

Unfortunately, it is way too far to walk from the ferry lot to Washington Park.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,868 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Seattle to Anacortes

You can leave your car at the ferry as long as you are in the vicinity, but no you can't just leave it and go somewhere else entirely. Google maps says it's 1.3 miles between the ferry dock just to the park entrance, and you'd be walking along the road, so yes it's possible to walk between the 2, but it's not really a nice walk. I'm not even sure if there is a sidewalk or shoulder along the road. At the ferry dock, there is a small beach and a boardwalk that turns into a trail that leads from the beach toward Anacortes.

There are lots of good short trails at DPSP. Rosario Head is one. You can look at the map them google the hikes.

http://www.deceptionpassfoundation.org/maps/

Washington Park and DPSP are really nice but the San Juans are better. If you are worried about killing time, why not just take an earlier ferry? New reservations will be available 2 days in advance.

Edited: 24 September 2017, 02:33
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,637 posts
109 reviews
3. Re: Seattle to Anacortes

As explained, parking at the ferry terminal and walking a mile-plus alongside the road to Washington Park is a no-go. Beyond that, though...you mentioned before that this trip is happening at the end of September, extending into early October, and that you hoped to base on Orcas. Is that still the plan? Asking bc there is no 8pm ferry from Anacortes to Orcas. Are you generally referring to the 7:20 sailing?

~ Colleen

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
471 posts
73 reviews
4. Re: Seattle to Anacortes

Thanks for the responses!

I think I was confused in regards to Washington Park and the ferry terminal. I thought I read about parking and then visiting the beach and boardwalk and possibly assumed it was part of Washington Park. Thanks for clearing it up that it isn't. And you are right, I wouldn't leave our car and walk that far. We will either choose to visit Deception Pass or Washington Park before parking at the ferry.

We did change our plans quite a bit. I found a place in Friday Harbor. We also thought the town of Friday Harbor would be more convenient for us with the two year old. So now our ferry ride is to Friday Harbor.

In regards to time, there is also a 4:45 ferry available but I'm nervous about rushing from the airport and actually making that ferry. We are stopping along the way to eat and possibly stopping to pick up a local variety of beer for my husband. So question about the ferry times, the only option that I'm shown are for 4:45 and 8:20. Two days before sailing, I should see the other times released? 5:10, 6:45, 7:20?

Thanks everyone!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
471 posts
73 reviews
5. Re: Seattle to Anacortes

I believe I might have answered my question. I do not see where the other ferries that I mentioned go to Friday Harbor. So it looks like my only options are 4:45 and 8:20. Or are there other times that get released that I'm unaware of? If I'm landing at 11:50, stopping at a store to pick a few things up and stopping to eat, does it even seem possible to make it to the ferry terminal for 3:45? It seems like it would really be cutting it close. Thoughts?

6. Re: Seattle to Anacortes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2018, 09:48