We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charming town suggestion on the way to Montreal...

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
389 posts
57 reviews
Charming town suggestion on the way to Montreal...

Hi foks -

I'm heading towards Montreal out of White Mountain area, I just need to figure out a cute town to stay in Vermont that would be on the way up towards Montreal...any suggestions that is not out of the way? this is solely for the purpose of seeing old-fashioned storybook places/and fall foilage. We aren't hiking or any doing any rec activity as we'll have a baby with us. Will be there about 10/12 (sadly, probably too late in North Vermont to see brilliance...)

Thanks all!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Charming town suggestion on the way to Montreal...

October 12?

That's very close to peak foliage in northern Vermont. Which means you'd better book soon if you want a place to stay. Stowe is likely your best bet for charming in the northern half of the state, though the influx of tourists are so huge that the busloads render the cute factor somewhat less than optimal at that time of year.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
389 posts
57 reviews
2. Re: Charming town suggestion on the way to Montreal...

Ugh. I don't like the sound of bus loads... any where else off the beaten path that's not too far out of the way enroute to Montreal where we might not get trampled on? Otherwise, Stowe it is. Thanks for the warning!

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: Charming town suggestion on the way to Montreal...

Try East Burke-beautiful small ski town. Not busy like Stowe. The area is gorgeous-definitely go see Lake Willoughby.

Another idea is to check out the Eastern Townships in Quebec. Very "quaint" and Vermonty...but in Quebec!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,578 posts
93 reviews
4. Re: Charming town suggestion on the way to Montreal...

Jeffersonville (north of Stowe on Rt 108) is a pretty little working town that's not likely to be as crowded... and on a nice scenic route to Montreal (From Stowe,Rt 108 north to 15 west to 104 west to I-89).

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Charming town suggestion on the way to Montreal...

I really like VTer's suggestion about East Burke and especially the Quebec Eastern Townships, such as North Hatley. Only issue is that the foliage will likely be well past peak in that northeastern part of VT and into Quebec.

You could do a lot worse than stay at Manoir Hovey:

http://www.manoirhovey.com/

Edited: 20 April 2012, 17:58
6. Re: Charming town suggestion on the way to Montreal...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 04:47