We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closest ski resort to NJ ?

NY
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Closest ski resort to NJ ?

We have never been to Vermont before and we are planning to spend the New Year’s Eve skiing.

Since we can stay just 3 nights, I’m looking for a resort for medium / advanced skiers as close as possible to NJ … Would this be Killington ? Or is there another one closer ?

Thank you !

Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
634 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Closest ski resort to NJ ?

I don't ski, but I crisscross the state a lot, so I can tell you that Mt. Snow is farther south, as are Bromley Mountain and Okemo. HTH

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
251 reviews
2. Re: Closest ski resort to NJ ?

Stratton is also in the area. I would suggest taking a look at all of their websites and checking out their locations not only for driving locations but also for convenience to restaurants, etc. I may be a little off, but I would think Killington is probably about 45 minutes further than Okemo/ Straton/ Bromley. But you may find there are things there worth the 45 minutes. Stratton has a lot in its little complex and then there is Manchester. Okemo has two lodges and a smaller one on the mountain (may have more- I'm trying to remember and they've done a lot of building). You have to come off the mountain into Ludlow to get to other restaurants and such but there are plenty and a grocery store close by. Bromley is a nice mountain. Much smaller. You have to drive farther to get to anything. We go there in the summer when they have the alpine slide set up.

We used to go to Stratton but now take the kids to Okemo because we like their kids' lessons plus it's closer to family and for a bit it seemed more family oriented though I've heard Stratton has worked to get back that market. If you are hard core skiiers you may like Stratton more, but again, I would research because I'm going on old info since I've been focused on the kids.

If driving distance is the main concern check out the routes up 91- that should be the fastest to Stratton side, and then the one up 287/87 through Troy/ Albany cutting through Bennington and then across 103 (?). That would be the closest to Okemo. Depending on where in NJ you'd be coming from. I think that's right. I'm usually asleep by Connecticut :-)

Hope you have a nice time.

NY
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Closest ski resort to NJ ?

Thank you ...Stratton is on my list too ...we are not looking for too much outside fun as we are a group of 9 adults and 5 kids (6-10 years old), so probably the best idea is to try to rent a house and keep the party in between us :)

Do you know any other site for looking for a house rental then vrbo.com ?

I have never heard about Okemo. Since you said family oriented, I'll have a look into it ...

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Closest ski resort to NJ ?

Aside from vrbo you can try cyberrentals.com and homeaway.com....hm, though maybe they've combined these two sites I am not sure. Bromley is a lovely family mountain but might not be challenging enough for your crowd. I would say that Mt. Snow and Stratton are you closest/best bets.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
251 reviews
5. Re: Closest ski resort to NJ ?

I'm honestly just throwing out some guesses, but I would also start at the Ludlow Chamber of Commerce page and google for the town Stratton is officially in. Manchester is the big town but the mountain is in another town. I know they have "where to stay" links. The websites for each of the mountains have options to stay in condos too. Many years ago a group of people I worked with and some of our kids booked a bunch of the older condos at STratton and they were actually great. Not crazy expensive and really convenient. Of course I don't know what they would be over a holiday. My guess is not cheap. But who knows :-) . NBPINVT mentioned Mt. Snow. I've never skiid there but have heard good things. I actually thought it was further North but just looked and was shocked at how far South it was.

Hope you have a wonderful time!

NY
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Closest ski resort to NJ ?

Ok - great info ...

I will try Stratton and Mt Snow.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,372 posts
58 reviews
7. Re: Closest ski resort to NJ ?

tons of lodging options in the manchester area.

here is one link. http://visitmanchestervt.com/lodging/

also the resorts will have additional links for properties under their own management like Stratton has or you can check out local real estate companies like Winhallrealestate.com

But for 3 nights not sure how much help they will be and you are probably better off looking at hotels and motels. that is a prime week and most condos and homes will only rent for the week.

I personally enjoy Stratton as an overall mountain to ski and apres ski.

NY
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Closest ski resort to NJ ?

After a long research we chose to stay in Mendon VT … initially we found out a good deal in Stowe but is 6.5 hours away so we switched for Mendon …

Now, since we have never been to Vermont, can I get some information about the 2 ski resorts we will have over there ? One is Pico Mountain and the other one is Killington.

I read Pico is smaller and more family oriented and this is a good thing for me as I have 2 kids (6 and 7) … but how challenging is this place ? We are medium skiers – comfortable on blue slopes, sometimes on “1 diamond” and we like loooooong slopes (lol). I hate to come down the hill in 2 min and wait in line to go back up, 10 min.…

The place we usually go is Mountain Creek … Is Pico Mountain similar to Mountain Creek ?

Last year we tried Tuxedo Ridge, Peter Mountain and Campgaw and we did not like them – slopes to easy and very, very short …

I’m asking because we can buy ski tickets to Killington and with those tickets we have access to Pico as well (but I’m assuming are more expensive) or we can buy tickets just for Pico …

If Pico is good enough and we will ski just 2 days, does not make any sense to pay the Killington price. And also, I want to avoid spending time at Pico and realizing that is like Tuxedo Ridge when I can go directly to Killington if this is the case …

Thank you !

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
251 reviews
9. Re: Closest ski resort to NJ ?

Congrats on finding a place! I don't know if you already bought tickets- I'm sorry it has been so long since I had been back and that no one else has been here. I honestly haven't been to Pico. I asked my husband and it's been years since he has been there, but he said when he was there it was very small. He'd probably say smaller than Okemo before their expansion, comparable to Ascutney or Magic. I don't know if that helps at all.

I hope you have a wonderful time!!

NY
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Closest ski resort to NJ ?

To close this topic with the conclusion of the trip … we had the perfect New Year time ever. We staid at MountainView Lodge and skied at Pico …

The hotel was perfect for the 10 family group we had because of the huge family area the hotel had. Service was fantastic, location perfect – just 2 miles away from Pico … and Pico Mountain was perfect again – long trails, no lines to the lifts … perfect, perfect, perfect.