We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zion to Moab or vice versa

Netherlands
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Zion to Moab or vice versa

We (a couple in our early 40's) are planning a 4 week trip to the southern NP's in Utah.

Arriving from SLC which route would you suggest (and why)?

1) Zion - Bryce/GSENM - Capitol Reef- Arches/Canyonlands

2) Arches/Canyonlands - Capitol Reef - Bryce/GSEN - Zion

We're planning to stay in all areas a week or so, to have some time exploring all these beautifull places (to much to do ....hiking, scenic drives, birding). And like to relax a couple of days to the end of our journey, sitting at our porch watching the scenery and read a book.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zion to Moab or vice versa

Hi

You didnot say what time of year you are coming. Are you flying back from SLC?

Take a look at the Moab activities calendar for planning your best time there:

http://www.discovermoab.com/calendar.htm

Relaxing for a couple of days sitting on a porch along a river I hardly can think of a better place than this:

http://www.desertpearl.com/

With 4 weeks you can visit a lot more places than the mentioned ones. How about Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, Page, Grand Canyon etc etc.

It really doesnot mather much in what order you do this trip.

Vriendelijke groet,

Tet

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,172 posts
394 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zion to Moab or vice versa

You have the opposite problem of most people who post itineraries. You have significant time to enjoy the parks and you will have a great trip. We're fortunate enough to live here and travel to the parks often. I can't honestly say that I would have any preference to the routing direction. Given that you have four weeks, one factor may be hitting the more wide open desert areas of Moab in the cooler part of your month.

But as Tet said, look at other reasonable options during your month which could easily be added.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,658 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zion to Moab or vice versa

There may indeed be a good reason to do one way or the other, (such as lodging availability, or attending or avoiding some event), but as far as purely scenic value it really wouldn't matter.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,105 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zion to Moab or vice versa

In my opinion ending a trip at Zion is the way to do it, it is what I do. Spending a few days hiking and relaxing on the riverside patio at Desert Pearl as Tet said is perfect.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zion to Moab or vice versa

Thanks for your quick responses.

Traveling this area during 4 weeks will give us the opportunity to experience this beautifull part of the US. We love to have the possibility to choose what we would like to do each day depeding on weather conditions or our own conditions ;-). So thats the reason we like to travel in a slow pace.

To expand our ittenarary is tempting. But there is already so much to see/do in this area alone that I think 4 weeks is still to little time ....

We're planning to go next September or May next year (still a long time away, but planning is fun already).

For now I like the following places to stay at in the different areas:

- Moab: condo or Best Westen Plus Canyonlands Inn

- Torrey: Torrey Pines B&B Inn

- Bryce: Stone Canyon Inn or Best Western Plus Bryce Canyon Grand Hotel

- Zion: Dessert Pearl Inn, Cliffrose Lodge & Gardens or maybe Flanigans Villa (pricy)

TN
Level Contributor
498 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zion to Moab or vice versa

I know it is a matter of personal preference but I would end my trip at Zion. It is my absolute favorite and, for me, nothing else quite compares.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,172 posts
394 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zion to Moab or vice versa

Both May or September would be good. Lodging choices are fine. One caution in Moab. Most of the condos available there are south of town or away from Main Street. You will have a far better experience if you're in town, able to walk to restaurants, etc. Best Western Canyonlands Inn there is fine. Check on Cedar Breaks condos, which are in town and very nice.

All three in Springdale are good. We prefer Flanigans, Desert Pearl and Cliffrose in that order. Weather wise, you're better starting in Moab for both a May or September trip.

Have fun.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zion to Moab or vice versa

We've stayed in a condo south of Moab and yes, it's a bit dark and remote. In october we''ll be staying at Three Dogs and a Moose just steps from the center of Moab. That last place is fully self contained. like the condos are.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zion to Moab or vice versa

Did you happen to review the Top Questions in the Utah forum? The first item is "How can I see all the parks in southern Utah?" and has links to maps and suggestions for itineraries. With four weeks you can cover a lot of ground, see a lot of places and still have a very relaxed time.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Zion to Moab or vice versa

@OhioHick: I did indeed see the the info under Top Questions in this Forum, thanks.

TA is so helpfull in prepairing the trip we're planning to make. Lots of suggestions on the best time to see which arches, how strenuous a specific hike is, what to expect on a scenic drive (Burr Trail) and tips on restaurants (helpfull for us as vegetarians, because Southern Style food could be challeging for us ;-). TA (and the lonely planet) will be perfect guides, thanks to you all.