We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wahweap Hoodoo's & Alstrom Point

Burlington KY
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Wahweap Hoodoo's & Alstrom Point

My wife and I are traveling to Utah next week. A couple of our planned activities are to photograph the Wahweap Hoodoo's and then visit the vista of Lake Powell from Alstrom Point.

We are renting a CUV and plan to check with the BLM in Big Water before we go. We also know not to venture out if there has been rain. We understand the roads can easily become impassable.

Has anyone one been to either location this year? And if so, how did you find the drives? Were there any problems or concerns we might encounter?

Thanks

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Wahweap Hoodoo's & Alstrom Point

I was at the Wahweap Hoodoos, or Toadstools, two days ago. It had not rained for six days so the Wahweap Creek was dry and hard.

What do you have for directions, map, guide, hiking book, whatever, for getting out there? There's the official method and there's the unofficial method.

Burlington KY
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Wahweap Hoodoo's & Alstrom Point

Is the unofficial method from Cottonwood Canyon Road?

I know about the drive then 9.2 mile hike out of Big Water. From two sources we found another shorter 2 mile hike from the road. I don t have the specifics right now but I know the drive begins on lower Cottonwood Canyon Rd. The sources are a book called Photographing The Southwest by Laurent Martres and the below website that also seems to follow this route.

naturalbornhikers.com/trails/wahweaphoodoos.…

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Wahweap Hoodoo's & Alstrom Point

That website is excellent! Though, I've never heard of a hoodoo with a name. I assume you know to print that out and take it with you.

I have one small comment to add to the driving directions given on NBH Tip. Where road 431 meets road 430 there is a sign reading: end 431. Road 430 clearly heads north and you don't want that. At this junction the road heading east has a sign that reads: Administrative Road. That's the one you want. All of these signs are really little and very close to the ground.

You'll be traveling pretty slow on those roads. They are one lane of "two-tracks" and with many hills and curves; watch for the potential of someone else coming at you around a blind corner. Several places in the road are extremely rough passing through dry washes but I never needed four-wheel drive. I feel sorry for anyone going out there in an ordinary passenger car.

That "administrative road" has been erased from the BLM maps. The visitor center in Kanab didn't even know it existed. I think the idea of parking near Big Water visitor center and hiking up that dry creek bed for 6 or 9 miles one way is apalling! They're certainly trying to keep people out.

Edited: 20 May 2011, 03:08
Burlington KY
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Wahweap Hoodoo's & Alstrom Point

That was excellent information. Thank you for your comments on the drive. I probably would have not taken the road marked "administrative". You just saved us.

I understand wanting to keep people away from these beautiful sites. Every now and then a bad apple comes along. Sometimes people can also be thoughtless.

The weather forecast looks good and we plan to be visiting the Wahweap Hoodoos next Wednesday.

Thanks Again.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,548 posts
170 reviews
5. Re: Wahweap Hoodoo's & Alstrom Point

Good info Danny. Are we going to hear more about your trip?

6. Re: Wahweap Hoodoo's & Alstrom Point

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2012, 12:55