We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canyonlands airport near Moab UT

Seattle, Washington
1 post
Canyonlands airport near Moab UT
Save

Has anyone flown into and/or out of Canyonlands airport, near Moab UT? I'm working thru an itinerary like this: fly from Seattle to SLC, rent a car, drive to Great Basin NP, Might Five NPs, plus some other NMs & sights, then return the car in Moab & fly back to Seattle (with a layover in SLC). Returning car in Moab adds $85 one-way charge & the flight from Moab to Seattle is 4:03 total - which is about how long just the drive is from Moab to SLC. We plan to take 2 & a half weeks. So I think it all works, but I'd like to know more about the Canyonlands airport. Or any other feedback you have on my itinerary. Thanks.

5 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell, Utah
Level Contributor
38,257 posts
57 reviews
13 helpful votes
1. Re: Canyonlands airport near Moab UT
Save

Others will have to comment on Canyonlands airport. But I don't see a huge advantage of flying to SLC and sitting around in the airport on a layover over driving to SLC from Moab. It's a 4 hour drive, no stops. Moab to SLC.

Other than a list of places, what is your itinerary? How many nights are you planning on spending at each destination? When are you traveling?

Edited: 17 August 2021, 05:33
Lakewood, Colorado
Level Contributor
982 posts
17 reviews
10 helpful votes
2. Re: Canyonlands airport near Moab UT
Save

What exactly do you want to know or are concerned about? It’s a very small facility with a single runway. For it’s size it receives a fair number of daily commercial flights. Easy, fast to walk through. No dining or shopping. Just the basics.

I think $85 is worth the ow drop off fee.

Edited: 17 August 2021, 08:34
Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
18,076 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Canyonlands airport near Moab UT
Save

It’s about trade offs.

It’s 4 hrs from slc to Moab driving

Rental cars are limited

Your layover+ flight might take just as long.

Also look at grand junction. It’s a lityke larger and has more rental volume. St George is another option.

Lakewood, Colorado
Level Contributor
982 posts
17 reviews
10 helpful votes
4. Re: Canyonlands airport near Moab UT
Save

The way I read OP is his return flight is Moab-SLC-Seattle, landing in Seattle 4hr after departing Moab (inclusive of SLC layover). If this is correct, then it's a time saver compared to driving Moab-SLC (4hr) plus arriving early enough for rental car return and 1.5hr check-in before departure. So drive Mob-SLC with check in time requirements will be 6+hrs total. OP will save 2-3hrs by flying Moab-Seattle.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
8,923 posts
9 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Canyonlands airport near Moab UT
Save

OP,

Do check to make sure you can do a one-way car rental from SLC to CNY. Sometimes, the major car rental companies do not want their cars staking up at small remote airports. For example, once we WERE allowed a one way rental LAS to SGU. Another time we were not able by any of the majors for a one-way. When that occurs we just arrive and depart the same airports either SGU or LAS.

For us, I have been looking at flights to get us a short duration trip to Moab. Depending upon the dates, usually GJT works best for total travel duration from NC. Some dates however a return from CNY to NC is the fastest choice.

Edited: 17 August 2021, 20:31
Reply to: Canyonlands airport near Moab UT
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.