We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hike between Green River and Salt Lake

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
45 reviews
Hike between Green River and Salt Lake

Next weekend we are headed to Salt Lake for a football game. Thursday night we will stop in Green River. We would have time for a 4- 4 1/2 mile, hour and a half hike. Can anyone recommend one between Green River and the University of Utah?

15 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,892 posts
449 reviews
1. Re: Hike between Green River and Salt Lake

I would make your stopover in Moab instead of Green River and you would have a wealth of opportunities like Delicate Arch in Arches or Aztec Butte in Canyonlands. Or, drive up to Salt Lake City and do a hike in Little or Big Cottonwood Canyon.

Have fun.

utah
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Hike between Green River and Salt Lake

Part of your challenge is going to be that almost anything will be 15-30 minutes off your path making your time tighter.

Look at Diamond Fork Hot Springs. You might need 2 hours so you have 1/2 hour to play in the hot springs.

There may be some good hikes in Price, but I don't know the area well.

You could check out Red Butte Gardens near the University of Utah - I think there may be some trails right there that go up into the mountains.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: Hike between Green River and Salt Lake

I just looked at Google maps. There are two routes. We have all day with nothing planned so we might go up the slower route via Duschene and Strawberry and return on Sunday via Provo.

utah
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: Hike between Green River and Salt Lake

If you go that route and still want to do a hike, you have lots of options in Park City. You could also check out Strawberry Reservoir.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
100 posts
65 reviews
5. Re: Hike between Green River and Salt Lake

You kind of have a lot of options, actually, with your biggest factor being time (assuming you need to be at the game on time).

As a previous poster mentioned, if you're coming from Albuquerque you'll likely be going right through Moab/Arches NP. Lots of hiking around there. If you go west from Green River about 20 miles you're right smack in the middle of the San Rafael Swell. You could spend a week hiking in this area. However, it's a little out of your way (backtrack back to Green River) unless you cut up through the middle of the Swell through Buckhorn Wash and past the Wedge overlook. This would take you into Castle Dale and then on to Price and SLC. This could be a good detour for you, if you're OK with dirt roads (not too rough)..

If you take the alternate route mentioned (highway 191 from Price to Duchesne), I would skip driving all they way on highway 40 past Strawberry, and take highway 35 through Tabiona and Hanna. This will take you over the corner of the Uinta Moutains (Wolf Creek Pass). Again, lots of hiking around this area too. Great drive. Highway 35 will continue back toward highway 40 near Park City.

All of that said, your best bet may be just hiking in the mountains near Salt Lake City. The Wasatch mountains have tons of hiking, with many trail heads being 30-45 mins (some less) from Rice Eccles Stadium (U of Utah). I consider the Park City area hiking to be part of the Wasatch (because it is - just on the other side of the mountains from SLC/Provo).

Hope this helps. As mentioned you kind of have more options than there is time to describe them all.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,492 posts
41 reviews
6. Re: Hike between Green River and Salt Lake

I assume you are attending the Utah - Washington game that starts at 8 pm on Saturday. That means you have all day Friday to get to SLC So any of the options suggested will work, I’ll throw one more thought to the mix. Leave Moab early and drive to Torrey, Utah to hike in Capitol Reef NP. Lots of great hiking there. Stay overnight in Torrey and drive to SLC the next day. If you leave Torrey by 8 am, you can be in SLC by noon. The one issue with this plan is being able to get a room somewhere in Torrey.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
45 reviews
7. Re: Hike between Green River and Salt Lake

Thanks great suggestions. We have our reservations at the University Marriott and friends are meeting us there for lunch on Saturday. I think we will probably check in early and hike the hills as recommended

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,492 posts
41 reviews
8. Re: Hike between Green River and Salt Lake

Sounds like a good plan. Go, Utes!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
45 reviews
9. Re: Hike between Green River and Salt Lake

>take highway 35 through Tabiona and Hanna.<

Is this route much prettier than 40 through Dushane and Strawberry?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,492 posts
41 reviews
10. Re: Hike between Green River and Salt Lake

That route is a great drive. You'll probably hit some great fall color. More scenic than highway 40

There was a massive wildfire near Strawberry this summer. It's mostly scorched earth.

Edited: 12 September 2018, 06:00
Reply to: Hike between Green River and Salt Lake
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted