We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moab to Great Basin

Cos Cob...
Level Contributor
91 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Moab to Great Basin

As part of our cross country trip, we plan to leave Moab late afternoon on Sep 14 after a day of hiking. The plan is to spend Sep 15 in Great Basin NP, and then spend that night in Ely. Any suggestions on a spot to stop and spend the night to break up that Moab to Great Basin drive?

I'd also like to hear any thoughts on Great Basin. Another option is to stay in Moab on the 14th. We can see sunset in Arches and get an early start and do the whole drive on the 15th. We probably end up with 4 or so hours in Great Basin, which may be enough since the cave tour seems to be sold out. Any interesting things to see or do along the way to Great Basin if we want to stop and stretch our legs?

Thanks.

4 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,542 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moab to Great Basin

Well. that's a bummer. Doesn't make sense to me but checked and it appears to be sold out. I would call the park. We've been through the caves a few times but it was just walk up and buy a ticket.

There are limited activities for just a casual visit other than the cave. You could do a Mt. Wheeler scenic drive, which is nice. Hiking tends to be a bit more on the backcountry trip style there.

If you wanted to break the trip, you could stay in Delta. If you can't tour the caves, I'm more inclined to suggest you do the one-day drive.

Have fun.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,537 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moab to Great Basin

I'd stay the extra night in Moab and drive straight through to Great Basin the next morning. You will have plenty of time for the scenic drive and a bit of a hike at the top. Really nice spot but unfortunate if you can't tour the caves, still worth the detour.

On the way from Moab there are a couple of things at Delta. The Topaz Internment Camp site, although there is not much left. And Delta Solar if you are into such things. This website calls them 'ruins' but when we were there last year they were actually working on restoration. https:/…delta-solar-ruins

After Great Basin on the way to Ely the Ward Charcoal Ovens SHP is an interesting diversion.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,576 posts
6,407 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moab to Great Basin

In Ely there is also an excursion train.

The visitor centers is another thing you can do when in Great Basin.

Food services are limited there.

There is a small cafe by Lehman Caves - but it can close early.'

There is an archeological site near to Great Basin,

Its in Baker.

https:/…baker-archeological-site.htm

Cos Cob...
Level Contributor
91 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moab to Great Basin

Thanks for quick and helpful responses. We are going to spend the night in Moab. The next day, we'll watch the sun come up at the Windows Arches and then get an early start on the drive. If we make good time (lunch in the car!) it seems we will have time to make the slow drive up Wheeler Peak and then hike the Bristlecone Trail. Reading about that drive down, it sounds like I will want to be off of there well before dark.

The one risk we are taking (which I note for anyone else using this to plan their own trip out there) is afternoon storms on Wheeler Peak might force us to find a lower elevation hike instead, so if you we were really determined to hike on Wheeler, we'd get most of the driving in the night before.

Reply to: Moab to Great Basin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted