We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Utah road trip

Summerside, Canada
12 posts
Utah road trip

Due to the Ferguson fire we are making alternative plans to our road trip late August.

We fly into LV on Aug 28 and pick up our Camper Van(18FT) this is what we are thinking

Aug 28-Get van and supplies drive to Boulder City

Aug 29 Grand Canyon

Aug 30 Page

Aug 31 Monument Valley

Sept 1 Torrey

Sept 2 Bryce

Sept 3 Zion

We have hotels booked in LV for Sept 6 so we have two more nights we can use on road trip to either stay another night at a spot above or add another stop to our trip, perhaps Moab??...What would be best? I know campground accommodations at this point will be a challenge or impossible.

2 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,190 posts
33 reviews
1. Re: Utah road trip

I would look into spending a day on Lake Powell, perhaps a boat tour to Rainbow Bridge. That would require one extra night in Page. Definitely more time in Zion. Either one or two nights more. Don't try to add Moab to the mix. You're already stretching time thin with so many destinations in a week. Finding available sites for a camper could be the biggest issue of the trip. You may have to stay 45 minutes away from where you want to be in order to find a spot. Leave no trace and know the rules with soil, water, etc before leaving a site.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,720 posts
449 reviews
2. Re: Utah road trip

Welcome to the forum. I suspect you'll find this challenging on two fronts. First, this is a hyper aggressive plan. Yes, you can drive this in the time you have but you have virtually no time allocated to actually see anything. Secondly, campgrounds will all be full and many of the areas you're visiting have really limited dispersed camping areas. I would suggest reading up online about where you can camp and the requirements. One key point is to ensure you have a working toilet with you. You may have one in the camper van. But if not, stop at an outdoor store and spend $30-40 to buy one. It's a requirement for camping on most public lands near the parks.

No chance on Moab given your Las Vegas gateway and the rest of your plan. If you have a night to add, put it in Zion. But that will also be one of the more challenging places to find a place to camp.

In the end I suspect you will be able to find a place to camp. But it will be dispersed camping on public lands (Federal or state). Research that well for each stop before you go.

The only other advice I might give you is to abandon this plan and simply go to Moab for the entire time. Moab has a virtually unlimited amount of dispersed camping, plus a significantly higher number of improved BLM units than any of the parks you're visiting. You would have no issue finding a good place to camp in Moab. And you could easily fill your time there. But you would need to gateway through Salt Lake City to have a realistic plan.

Have fun.

Reply to: Utah road trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted