We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from San Fransisco to Florissant, CO

Abu Dhabi, United...
8 posts
Driving from San Fransisco to Florissant, CO

Hi,

My mum and I will be spending a few days in/around SF visiting my brother before driving to Florissant, CO for Christmas this December. We will leave SF on the 19th December and need to be in Florissant on the 22nd.

My plan was:

- Drive to Lake Tahoe for brunch then on to around Elko, NV on the 19th

- Drive to Salt Lake City and do our Christmas shopping (have heard the outlets are good), stay in Salt Lake on the 20th

- Drive to Glenwood Springs and stay around here and visit the hot springs on the 21st

- Arrive in Florissant on the 22nd.

Hoping for some tips about places to see / places to eat at / any must do's along this route. Or if there is somewhere we should make a detour to?

Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
Munich
Level Contributor
9,932 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Driving from San Fransisco to Florissant, CO

You did ask these question in the california and colorado forum also. And there you got some good answers.

Beate

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,126 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: Driving from San Fransisco to Florissant, CO

Responded on your Road Trip thread.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,674 posts
449 reviews
3. Re: Driving from San Fransisco to Florissant, CO

Welcome to the forum. Key initial point - ensure that you have a rental car with winter tires. That might not be easy to accomplish. But without them you'll have challenges. It's required by law in Colorado.

San Francisco to Elko is a long haul. A simple sidetrip to Tahoe City will add an hour of driving. If you want to do that, look at Jake's on the Lake. You likely won't find any 'brunches' per se on a Wednesday, but you can find many lunch spots in Tahoe City. As suggested on other forums, a wiser stop would be Truckee, which is directly on your route. Our fave spots there are not open for lunch. But Jax at the Tracks is a ton of fun - an old diner. It's not the elegant brunch you were seeking, but you will enjoy it.

In Elko, we've been staying at the Hilton Garden Inn on east side. Very nice. Some decent restaurants and coffee shops. The Star Hotel is great for Basque cuisine or Luciano's for Italian. Both serve massive portions. McAdoo's is great for coffee and breakfast. All are downtown.

One suggestion, given that you have a long plan on the 19th, maybe stop in Winnemucca instead. That will save you an hour and half that first day. Elko to Salt Lake City is pretty short in comparision. You can easily do Winnemucca to Salt Lake City in a day.

If your interest is in outlet mall shopping, best stores are in Park City - 25 minutes past Salt Lake City. Look at the Hampton Inn, Best Western or Holiday Inn Express - all nearby. If you want something a bit better than outlet mall shopping, look at City Creek and Gateway in downtown Salt Lake City.

The drive from either Park City or Salt Lake City to Glenwood Springs is about six to seven hours. There are several routes. I would recommend you head down I-15 to US6, then take that to Green River and pickup I-70. If you stay in Park City, you can drive down via Heber City and Provo to pickup I-15.

In Glenwood Springs, stay at Hotel Denver eight downtown. Many restaurants in walking distance such as The Pullman (our fave).

I do want to stress the tire situation and also getting a front wheel drive vehicle. In Colorado, there is a traction law. Anytime it snows, you are required by law to have winter tires. If you do not, you can be cited. Plus it's just not safe or even practical.

Have fun.

Reply to: Driving from San Fransisco to Florissant, CO
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted