We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Utah Trip August 21-26

7 posts
Utah Trip August 21-26

I am flying into San Diego and passing through Nevada for 1 day not staying the night. Mainly want to focus on Utah the 21st to the 25th (Fly out afternoon of the 26th). I am going to be going solo. I am active and outdoorsy but I am finding that Utah in August is a rough time to do outdoorsy activities in the afternoon hours. Can someone suggest an itinerary from Vegas to Salt Lake City from the 21st to 26th. I have never been to Utah and would really like to hike, kayak, etc... Can I book hotels/Airbnbs in areas with national parks withing 30 minutes within a week? Also what are recommendations of top cities to visit along the path? Suggestions welcomed.

Thank you

7 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Utah Trip August 21-26

With only 4 days, it's going to be hard to see much of the parks. How much time do you have for this trip? Starting in San Diego is not the best way to focus on the Utah parks. Driving from San Diego to southern Utah can be done in a day but you have to start early due to hideous nightmare traffic in CA. I am not exaggerating the traffic. Don't even dream of making this drive on a Friday.

People book their lodging for the Natl Parks a year in advance. Your chances of finding an airbnb at a time efficient distance from the parks is slim. Get working on that now. With your short time I would recommend just Zion and Bryce.

If you want cooler temps and want to do lots of hiking, kayaking and other fun stuff, you might want to just fly from San Diego to SLC. Visit Park City instead for higher elevation and cooler temps. Plenty of kayaking and hiking in a mountain environment instead. Tons of lodging options at off season prices. Something to think about.

Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
2. Re: Utah Trip August 21-26

I agree. If you are worried about the heat park city will be much more tolerable with hiking kayaking hiking etc..lodging will be easier too.

7 posts
3. Re: Utah Trip August 21-26

Would I be better off doing the 4 days in the southern region of Utah (Zion, Bryce, Grand Staircase) and fly out of Vegas?

What are your top 3 places in a reasonable distance in Utah?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,183 posts
250 reviews
4. Re: Utah Trip August 21-26

Do you want to hike and kayak and explore each day, or do you want to drive to a bunch of different places? Four days isn’t much time. If you’re really that outdoorsy, pick one place and focus on it.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: Utah Trip August 21-26

If you really want to stick with southern Utah:

Fly from SD to LV, flights are frequent and fairly cheap

Rent car

Drive immediatly to Springdale for what ever lodging you have lucked in to, you might snag a cancellation

Stay min 2 nts

Bryce next, 1 nt

Drive scenic hwy 12 to Capitol Reef NP, stay in Torrey

Drive back to LV and fly out

This works if you have a late flight home

Do not buy airfare until you have lodging booked. Call hotels directly because most do not use third party booking sites. Good luck!

7 posts
6. Re: Utah Trip August 21-26

If I have to cut my loses I'd like to see as many different places as possible

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,183 posts
250 reviews
7. Re: Utah Trip August 21-26

In that case, I concur with 2 nights at Springdale for Zions, and one each at Bryce and Torrey for Escalante.

You need to search and book reservations RIGHT NOW.

Edited: 04 August 2018, 11:28
Reply to: Utah Trip August 21-26
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted