We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on driving route leaving Salt Lake City for I-15

UK
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on driving route leaving Salt Lake City for I-15

I'm picking up a hire car from Enterprise at 404 300 W in Salt Lake City, about 8am (the earliest time available) on a Saturday in October. We're heading straight to Bryce Canyon and I was planning on leaving SLC on I-15. What's the traffic like at that time on a Saturday morning? Does anyone have any recommended routes or streets to avoid? Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
6 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,108 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on driving route leaving Salt Lake City for I-15

Traffic will not be an issue. From that location, turn right on 300 West from the Enterprise agency, go one block to 500 South and turn right. That will take you directly to the freeway on ramp - about 3 blocks. 500 South is a one way road. You will want to move to the left hand lanes to get on I 15 headed south. I believe the overhead sign will indicate "Las Vegas". Watch the overhead signs on I 15. There will be signs fairly quickly once on the freeway that indicate "Cheyenne" and "Las Vegas". You want to stay in the right hand lanes.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 19:07
Mentioned in this post
Cheyenne
Cheyenne
Wyoming
utah
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on driving route leaving Salt Lake City for I-15

Connie's directions are perfect. Assuming you are not alone another option is to take the car pool onramp on 400 S. It's the same idea except you would head towards the freeway on 400 S instead of 500 S. I think it's slightly quicker and slightly easier to navigate - but it only works if you have at least 2 passengers in the car.

UK
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on driving route leaving Salt Lake City for I-15

Thank you both for the really helpful advice. That's interesting about the car pool ramp as well; yes, there will be two of us. Is that the only condition for using it, having 2+ people in the car?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,108 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on driving route leaving Salt Lake City for I-15

Yes, you can use 400 South if you have two or more people. But it would mean turning left from Enterprise across traffic, turning left again at the light on 400 South, another wait. The route via 500 South is all right hand turns. And you can turn right on a red light after coming to a stop. IMO, using 500 South is easier and takes aboout the same time.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,108 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on driving route leaving Salt Lake City for I-15

About using the car pool lane, yes, the only requirement is two or more people. Logistically, I wouldn't worry about using the car pool lane until after you are thru the I 80/I 15 interchange. Until then, you'd have to cross several lanes of traffic to get in the proper lane to head south on I 15. The distance between 400 South, 500 South and the I 80/I 15 is less than a mile. After you get thru the I 80/I 15 interchange, you can then move in to the carpool lane if you want. But on a Saturday morning, traffic will be light on I 15. There really isn't a huge advantage in using the car pool lane. Be advised, that Utah laws requires that any one driving in the left hand lanes that has traffic stacking up behind them, the driver must move over to a right hand as soon as it is safe to do so. This applies even if you are going the speed limit. Give way to other drivers who are going faster than you. When you get south of Payson, Utah, there will just be two lanes in both directions on the freeway. Stay in the right lane except to pass another vehicle

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Payson
Payson
Wasatch Range, UT
utah
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on driving route leaving Salt Lake City for I-15

Personally, I'd go 500 S for the reasons Connie says. However, if I were from out of town and not from a area with lots of freeways I would want to go the 400 S route just because the 500 S onramp is a bit intimidating - 5 or so lanes across splitting different directions at freeway speeds. Really, you can't go wrong either way, but that's what I mean by "easier to navigate". Either way works. Just follow the signs saying to Las Vegas.

Edited: 04 August 2018, 00:03
Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Advice on driving route leaving Salt Lake City for I-15
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted