We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wave Death

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,183 posts
250 reviews
Wave Death

stgeorgenews.com/news/….W2I-i6tlChC

Yet another hiker has perished at the Wave.

18 replies to this topic
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,274 posts
248 reviews
1. Re: Wave Death

oh wow- that is sad. it is an unforgiving (albeit beautiful) place.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: Wave Death

Thanks for posting this Red, I was going to do it. I always worry about people coming from completely different environments. They see pictures of The Wave (and other places), think "Oh we have to go there!" and have absolutely no concept of what they are getting in to. People seem to think visiting the National Parks or other wilderness places is like going to Disneyland. No, it's NOT. There are no employees out there to ensure you have a wonderful experience, to answer your questions and to point you in the right direction.

The wilderness (and not just in Utah) is beautiful but it can be deadly to those who are uninformed and unprepared. Personally, I would never hike the Wave in summer. I wouldn't do it in a group smaller than 4 people, preferably with at least 1 who had done it before.

I am so sad for this family and for the son who lost his Dad.

Please visitors, research and prepare so you can have a good time and come back again.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: Wave Death

I would also like to reference the article in the St. George newspaper about the two hiking groups who had to be pulled out of The Subway this week. They ignored the rangers' advice, went in without technical gear, and one injured person had to be rescued by helicopter. Sorry if this sounds mean, but I hope they had to pay for their rescue.

Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
4. Re: Wave Death

In Colorado you are required to pay for any rescue. Unless you have a fishing license. Fishing licenses also are like insurance for mountain rescue as some of the fee goes to mountain rescue. So even if you don't fish get a fishing license.

Toquerville UT
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
80 reviews
5. Re: Wave Death

I hiked the Wave on a day when it reached the high 90s, it was very tough coming out. We went at dawn and the hike in was very easy. After a couple of hours we began the hike out, had lots of water, some 50/50 with Gatorade, it was very difficult for me. I was 67 at the time and in good shape, you just don't realize what the heat/exposure can do.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
71 reviews
6. Re: Wave Death

Utah also has an SAR card, you are required to pay for rescue in a number of Utah counties and this covers it

https://secure.utah.gov/rescue/

Toquerville UT
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
80 reviews
7. Re: Wave Death

I posted the SAR Card on the Subway thread, a good portion of Coyote Buttes is in AZ, wonder how they manage SAR?

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
71 reviews
8. Re: Wave Death

From the article

"Since then the BLM has implemented a system in which employees and volunteers act as guides for a hiking party if requested. Others monitor the trails through the Wave and also supply water to hikers."

First I have heard of this.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
34 reviews
9. Re: Wave Death

To the top for people planning to hike in the summer. Please read and be aware.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
48 reviews
10. Re: Wave Death

There is a canyon hike outside of Las Vegas that goes down to the Colorado River below the Hoover Dam that the BLM finally had to close off completely in the summer months because too many people were not using common sense and were hiking down in the heat of the day and dying of heat stroke. I'd hate to see that happen but it won't surprise me if they end up going that route. Although the Wave is in a wide open area as opposed to this small canyon so maybe that wouldn't be possible anyway.

Reply to: Wave Death
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted