We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Angels Landing

6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Angels Landing

I am spending three days in Zion from August 24-26. I would like to find any news on whether or not the Angels Landing trail will be repaired following the heavy rain last July 11th.

Thanks

Special Offer
3-Day National Parks Camping Tour...
124 Reviews
from US$ 598.49*
US$ 629.99
3-Day National Parks Tour from Las...
123 Reviews
from US$ 511.00*
3-Day Tour: Sedona, Monument Valley...
26 Reviews
from US$ 529.00*
5 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,750 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Angels Landing

Monitor the official nps website for Zipn for updates.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,493 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Angels Landing

My feeling is that is it a large enough gap and a difficult enough repair, and no money in the budget for it that it will take awhile.

But do keep checking for updates, the park is active on facebook and twitter along with the official site.

6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Angels Landing

Thanks ... everything I have found online tells me that the repair is not so simple and I also read that funding may be lacking.

Where I live lakes and rivers are everywhere but the real danger from water lies in the southwest with the monsoon rains that are so difficult to predict. I will be driving White Rim Rd before heading to Zion ... sure hope I don't get heavy rain on that drive...they haven't had a drop all summer in the Moab area but who knows ...

Thanks ... will have to hope for a miracle opening

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,750 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Angels Landing

Do you have a high clearance 4x4 vehicle to drive the 100 mile White Rim Road and the time required? Is it a rental? You'll void your rental car agreement if you drive on this road. Do you have a permit?

https:/…whiterimroad.htm

Edited: 02 August 2018, 00:21
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Angels Landing

My friend and I drove White Rim Rd and camped at Murphys Hogsback Campground A. I drive a 2016 stock Toyota 4 Runner. My only off-road experience before doing wrr was Medano Pass near Great Sand Dunes NP in south eastern Colorado.

I still can't believe how powerful my truck is in 4Lo. It climbed Murphys Hogsback like it was nothing. My biggest concern was trying to make sure I didn't bottom out anywhere. Actually I tried to avoid imagining meeting another truck on Murphys or Hard Scrabble hill ...

Also on the west side I encountered a stretch of slickrock that made it very difficult to be sure I was still on the "road".

I wish I had a bit more clearance though.

Have you driven this road? If so do you agree with me that the west side is much trickier ... the whole road wasn't that tough until after Murphy hogsback.

Thanks

Reply to: Angels Landing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted