We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torrey to Park City, which route?

Sydney
Level Contributor
506 posts
49 reviews
Torrey to Park City, which route?

Hi all

We will be in Utah in September and will be staying overnight in Torrey then driving the next day to Park City. We would like to make a quick stop in Fruita before leaving the Capitol Reef area but we are wondering what the drive is like heading east on the 24 then north on 191 then 6 to Park City or should we double back through Torrey to go up through Salina?

Is there one option that is more scenic than the other or just a better drive - we would prefer a scenic drive than getting there faster.

Also, is it too far out of the way to go from Torrey to Arches NP then to Park City in the one day? We don't have a timeframe to get to Park City and we can leave Torrey early, and yes, I can see on googlemaps the distances etc but I can not factor in traffic etc so have no idea what a realistic timeframe would be.

We will be driving on weekday mid September if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Kim.

13 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,898 posts
451 reviews
1. Re: Torrey to Park City, which route?

Well, traffic won't be an issue so don't make that a factor. And are you coming to the region but not spending a few days in Moab?

In any case, the route via Salina will ultimately take you up US89 through a series of small villages. It's a very nice, scenic peaceful drive. The route up via US24 and US6 it wide open desert to Price/Helper then some easy low mountain and canyon driving up to I-15. That latter route would give you the chance to visit Little Wild Horse Canyon, which would be a real highlight. Yes, you could drive over to Moab for a tour of Arches then up. That would be a long day but it's possible. But it does beg the question as to why you aren't spending a few days in Moab.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,205 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Torrey to Park City, which route?

I personally think the drive along 24 and then up hwy 6 is a more scenic drive for longer spurts. From Fruita, you go all the way through Capitol Reef National Park. It's a national park, so not going to get much more scenic than that.

Then on SR 24 are very interesting formations like Factory Butte and others. You'll see the San Rafael Swell flanking the horizon to the west, once past Hanksville. And even going through Price Canyon and Spanish Fork Canyon could be scenic. And as mentioned, you could make a stop at Little Wild Horse or Goblin Valley. Then head up Provo Canyon and go through Heber Valley to get to Park City.

I would skip Arches as a drive by. It's tempting because it's so close. But there are a lot of other ways to spend your time on a drive to Park City. Going to Moab would just open a can of worms. And if you simply just drove through Arches, you'd be looking at least at a 9-hour drive day once all was said and done. Google Maps usually only plots times to the park entrances, not the time it will take just to drive through and back again. If you want to see an arch formation, you could hike Hickman Bridge at Capitol Reef. It's a fairly short hike to look into.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,516 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Torrey to Park City, which route?

If you wanted to add more scenic driving between Torrey and Park City, you can drive the Fish Lake Highway which is accessed at Fremont Utah and connects back to highway 24. You can also drive the Mt. Nebo Scenic Loop between Nephi and Payson. Depending on when in September you are traveling, you may be able to enjoy some wonderful fall color on these routes. But even if it's early September, the drives are very scenic.

Driving Fish Lake Highway will add about a half hour to the drive. Driving Mt. Nebo Scenic Loop will probably add an hour or more.

Sydney
Level Contributor
506 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: Torrey to Park City, which route?

Great responses, thank you so much. I think we will give Arches and Moab a miss, unfortunately we just don't have enough time this trip, that's all it comes down to.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
49 reviews
5. Re: Torrey to Park City, which route?

I adore the drive from Fremont, UT up to the I-70 freeway via Hwy 72. You can see a terrific view rarely seen of beautiful Capitol Reef National Park from that summit.

You can skirt across I-70 and continue to Price (and Spanish Fork Canyon) by heading north on Highway 10, going through Castle Dale and Huntington. It's not 80 mph, but there's only two traffic lights in 100 miles.

*Pixie*

Edited: 04 July 2018, 03:43
Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
49 reviews
6. Re: Torrey to Park City, which route?

Oops, forgot to add: Pando (the grove of trees) is about 30 minutes from Fremont, Utah. Maybe you don't have time for Moab, but do you have time to see Pando?

September/October are his best months.

*Pixie*

Sydney
Level Contributor
506 posts
49 reviews
7. Re: Torrey to Park City, which route?

Pando? I must look him up!

Thank you for your suggestions too.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,516 posts
41 reviews
8. Re: Torrey to Park City, which route?

Fish Lake Highway that I reference in my post #3 is Highway 25.

https://utah.com/scenic-drive/fish-lake

Sydney
Level Contributor
506 posts
49 reviews
9. Re: Torrey to Park City, which route?

Thanks Connie, I was looking at that route today and it looks good. Thanks for the rec.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,516 posts
41 reviews
10. Re: Torrey to Park City, which route?

Actually, Fish Lake Highway maybe adds about 15 minutes to the drive between Torrey and Park City.

Reply to: Torrey to Park City, which route?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted